Learning SketchUp - Advice

sajicor

Hello

I have always worked with AutoCAD for 2D drawings, I have made some 3D models with 3DsMAX and I have been learning how to use Revit for the last 3 months. Now I want to have a look how SketchUp works because I see that it is pretty famouse.

Any advice to start with it? Can I download a trial version of SketchUp Pro, like any Autodesk program? What are the main differences between SkechUp and SketchUp Pro?

Thank you a lot

The main differences from SketchUp 2013 (and up) Make (free) and Pro are that it is stipulated that Make cannot be used for profit and only for hobby and personal use. Also the free version cannot export out to other formats (dwg, obj, 3ds, xsi and so on). The free version cannot make Dynamic Components, it can use them but it cannot make them.

It's not a bad program for what it costs but it is on it's 3rd owner and I don't have a lot of faith in it's new owner Trimble.

It is still one of the easiest 3d programs out there.

Have a look in my deviantART gallery. All of the 3d work there was done by SketchUp over the years.

For more information why don't you go right to the source?

http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-pro

I see I can use Pro verison just for 8 hours and only if I am student (being asked for the School name) or worker (being asked for the Company name)

Do you thing it would be enoght the SketchupMake version to start with?

thanks

The main differences from SketchUp 2013 (and up) Make (free) and Pro are that it is stipulated that Make cannot be used for profit and only for hobby and personal use. Also the free version cannot export out to other formats (dwg, obj, 3ds, xsi and so on). The free version cannot make Dynamic Components, it can use them but it cannot make them.

It's not a bad program for what it costs but it is on it's 3rd owner and I don't have a lot of faith in it's new owner Trimble.

It is still one of the easiest 3d programs out there.

Have a look in my deviantART gallery. All of the 3d work there was done by SketchUp over the years.

thank you for the information. Great gallery by the way

Yes SU Make would be just fine to get you started. If I was you I would down load the current version as well as an older version. Use the current version to learn on and install the older version in Pro mode to use for file conversions (link).

You will have 8 hours but it will only take a minute or less to open a file and save it out as another format.

Yes, you can have it installed on more than one PC at a time.

Thanks and good luck :)

Yes SU Make would be just fine to get you started. If I was you I would down load the current version as well as an older version. Use the current version to learn on and install the older version in Pro mode to use for file conversions (link).

You will have 8 hours but it will only take a minute or less to open a file and save it out as another format.

Yes, you can have it installed on more than one PC at a time.

Thanks and good luck :)

Great idea, thank you for the advice :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm practicing a litle bit with SketchUp Make and I was thinking of making a castle model from my father's home and load it to Google Earth, is this still possible? I've read that it isn't possible any more? Is it true?

Thanks