Lack of standards

richard3009

I have noticed over the years from importing drawings from various companies the lack of a standard in the UK, is there a uniform standard that Autocad drawings should follow regardless of discipline and can I find this online.

They should all follow the standards defined by the British Standars Institute. Way back it was BS308 and has been renumbered many times so I can't remember the current one. A quick glance at the BSI website will show that they don't let this stuff escape cheaply which is one of tthe reasons for the lack of standards visible.

Please do a search on the Forum for "CAD Standards Manual" - this will give you plenty of previous discussions on this matter along with valuable samples.

Layer naming "standards" are nice but a thorough one would be so long that it would be impossible to follow. AIA offers layer names as a guideline and open for adjustment. What is important is the format, a string of groups of characters with a certain length in a certain order. Each group representing things like trade, sub-trade, system and can get quite detailed. Not every group needs to be present. Again it depends on the level of detail that your drawings represent.

Since the OP is from the U.K. would he necessarily be interested in the AIA layer naming standards? Might the Brits prefer something different? Remember we're talking about a country that spells color as colour, calls the hood of a car the bonnet, and they go to the strand not the beach! They also say "whilst" and "al-loo-min-knee-um" (for aluminum). LoL

Since the OP is from the U.K. would he necessarily be interested in the AIA layer naming standards? Might the Brits prefer something different? Remember we're talking about a country that spells color as colour, calls the hood of a car the bonnet, and they go to the strand not the beach! They also say "whilst" and "al-loo-min-knee-um" (for aluminum). LoL
the strand? I've never heard that. The Strand is a London street running eastwards from Trafalgar Square for about a mile before it becomes Fleet Street where all the newspapers used to be based. Alternatively it was a brand of cigarettes. Apart from that I see nothing wrong.

Strand: Land bordering a body of water. My 10th grade "American" teacher was the one I heard that from. He refused to call it an "English" class. When we challenged him on it he gave us a list of ten words and asked for a definition of each. Strand, carriageway, bonnet, moggy, fag and ??? (can't remember the others) were on that list. Needless to say there were some very interesting responses the vast majority of which were wrong. Thus proving his point. We did not speak English we spoke American. I still remember that teacher and his lesson to this day. Later on I had the same teacher for two years of German. When we entered the class the German flag was displayed and he made sure we marched in to German music. Quite the character.

I remember another word: Bobby. I think I may have gotten that one right!

a bobby is a policeman. The original police force in London was instigated by (Sir) Robert Peel, a one time prime minister. The force became (unofficially) known as "peelers" or "bobbies" after Robert (Bobby) Peel.

Strand: Land bordering a body of water. My 10th grade "American" teacher was the one I heard that from. He refused to call it an "English" class. When we challenged him on it he gave us a list of ten words and asked for a definition of each. Strand, carriageway, bonnet, moggy, fag and ??? (can't remember the others) were on that list. Needless to say there were some very interesting responses the vast majority of which were wrong. Thus proving his point. We did not speak English we spoke American. I still remember that teacher and his lesson to this day. Later on I had the same teacher for two years of German. When we entered the class the German flag was displayed and he made sure we marched in to German music. Quite the character.

I remember another word: Bobby. I think I may have gotten that one right!

Strand is a German / Dutch word, beach is the English

Since the OP is from the U.K. would he necessarily be interested in the AIA layer naming standards?

Welp, probably about as much as he should be interested in the UK version. A wall is still a wall no matter what you call it. So, why not call it a wall?

The standard in the UK is BS8888. This is the basic graphical standard, which focuses mainly on engineering. There are further standards for things such as construction and ship building which cover more of the 'CAD' side of things.

I've written up some of the standards here:

http://www.cadsetterout.com/drawing-standards/