Keeping an object centered and stretched in dynamic block

artuiel

Hello,

I am having trouble with a dynamic block I've created...

I'm looking for a way to automate stair drawing.

I've made a block that stretches and adds stairs just great- but I haven't succeeded keeping the 'direction arrow' centered, and with both ends at the and-points of stair width...

confused?

I've add pic's ;)

Picture1.jpg

You'll need two stretch actions, one for each side of the stairway from the exact center out. don't include any part of the arrow in either stretch. Each stretch action will operate from the same point so they will stretch simultaneously in opposite directions. I know it can be done. I have seen it done in a block for a double door that stretches that way. I have tried to build one to work that way but didn't put much time into it so I can't explain the sequence you would apply the parameters.

here is the example door block contributed by another forum member, whose name I cannot remember right now.

Maybe you can look at it in the block editor and figure it out.

Stretch In Two Directions.dwg

Thanks Dana, that was really helpful :)

I've managed to make the arrow lines stretch to both sides,

now to figure out how to make them move to the center of the stretched block...

any suggestions?

Picture2.jpg

I don't know how you got to where you are without seeing the block in the editor. I am pretty much of a novice with this stuff too.

I think, in the door example block, one of the stretches needs a negative stretch but I don't know how to apply it.

There are a number of methods, I've shown 2 in the attachment. To get the negative stretch you need to adjust the setting for the stretch direction in the properties pallete, but using the mid point of the parameter as the base point means that is automatic.

Stretch In Two Directions.dwg

There are a number of methods, I've shown 2 in the attachment. To get the negative stretch you need to adjust the setting for the stretch direction in the properties pallete, but using the mid point of the parameter as the base point means that is automatic.
That's pretty cool Steven. I think for practical purposes, the block that stretches in one direction while keeping the arrow centered would be easier to use in a floor plan, since it can be inserted against one side of the available space, then stretched to the opposite wall. Now the double stretch is better for doors and windows. Especially exterior doors and windows, that are almost always located by their centers relative to the building features.

Now that I know some more about the stretchy block construction techniques, I am going to try again to make one myself.

Yeah that's why I showed the two methods, you could also use the centre method and add in a move action set to 50%, but that's getting complicated. :)

• 7 years later...

Hi! The attachment from Steven-g is  no longer there. I am essentially trying to make a double door cabinet block where it will stretch from one side only but the center line will remain centered.  Any help would be appreciated. 

On 03/09/2021 at 20:40, CBah said:

The attachment from Steven-g is  no longer there.

Although, this topic is 7 years old, the download still works for me. Maybe try again.

• Agree 1