Recommendations requested for new computer specs

Guest EnvisionMan

Guest EnvisionMan

To all,

I am planning on buying a new computer in the next couple months. I would appreciate any recommendations on what is ideal for running the following simultaneously with the least lag:

- AutoCAD 2014

- Multiple web browsers

- Revit

- Sketchup

- Google Earth

- Silverlight (for city GIS systems)

- plus a few other minor things like Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, etc.

I do not play video games, so I don't need it optimized for that.

I want to spend under $2500.

I need it in a laptop, and prefer a 17" screen.

I would prefer a solid-state drive, for at least the boot drive. Any strong advantages to making the entire drive solid state?

Thank you in advance for the advice. I have been designing on AutoCAD since 1997 and have never really had an optimal machine. I would like that to change.

Thanks!

Guest EnvisionMan

Nice specs... I wonder if there is a laptop that can have all that. I require the portability... haven't been able to use a desktop for the last 6-7 years.

Thanks!

FWIW -

I've historically used Dell Precision mobile workstations over the past several years without issue... Great performance, but I'd advise you get the 15" in lieu of the 17" I used - just too big, IMO (I used a dock & 20" monitors at home too).

I recently changed employment, and just purchased my new Dell Precision T3600 (desktop) and love the performance gains over the prior laptops... Hex-Core Intel Xeon 3.2Ghz, 500GB SSD, 32GB RAM, 3GB NVIDIA Quadro K4000, and dual 24" monitors... Makes my inner-geek happy, happy, happy. :geek: