3d house?

swats

My parent's are going to build a new house this summer. In my spare time I have been working with them on creating a layout for a house that they like. And hopefully meet their future needs. After coming up with a layout that they and I like it was faxed to the architect that the builder uses. I am not an architect. I work for a small tool company doing design/detail work in 3d Autocad. The architect is an old semi-retired guy, that only does hand drawn prints. The architect finalized the drawings and has sent my parents and the builder a set of prints. The prints included elevation views etc. As a personal side project I would like to create 3d model of the exterior of the house. With the 3d model I would then like to create renderings using Autodesk Showcase. My question is, how much detail do you guys/gals put into windows and doors of your house models? Where do get cad files of the windows and doors? Do you create them as needed? I have a habit of wanting to show every nut and bolt in my 3d models, but that might not be really required. Some direction might help me. By the way, I am using regular Autocad. Thank you for your time.

Marvin Windows has a utility that will create a 3D window for you to place in a drawing. I haven't used it in years, but basically you "build" your window by specifying sizes and options, then you create a model or block to put in a drawing. I think the utility works within AutoCAN'T to you can click on a button to activate it.

Other than Marvin, most other window makers will offer CAD models of their windows, but not a lot that I have seen for 3D models. You'll have to take their 2D sections and build the models yourself.

You can download 3D models of windows and doors from most major manufacturers like Marvin, Anderson and Pella so there is no need to create your own.

Unless you're using someone else's windows like Crestline or Pollard (very good windows from Canada). Last I knew, Crestline only had 2D CAD files and Pollard didn't have any at all.

The builder uses Anderson windows. I thought I might have looked at them before. I will look at it again tonight. The Windows study software says that is produces 3d models. But it does not say Autocad 3d. I am going to have to look at it.

• 2 weeks later...