Importing AutoCAD MEP

Kremer

Hey there,

We've got a project that needs to interface with a Revit file. 99% of the time we work in AutoCAD MEP.

I was curious if I work in MEP within a .dwg that was exported from the Revit file, then import the .dwg file back into the original Revit file...will all my plumbing import correctly? Will it still be adjustable?

Second part: I tried importing an MEP pump model we created into Revit but it mentioned an origin, and the model is now somewhere to be determined (poor pump). I was curious how I can go about finding a relative origin in Revit.

Thanks so much!

I was curious if I work in MEP within a .dwg that was exported from the Revit file, then import the .dwg file back into the original Revit file...will all my plumbing import correctly? Will it still be adjustable?
When you say "MEP" that's confusing since there's Revit MEP and AutoCAD MEP. So, you are using AutoCAD MEP and you have XREF'ed a DWG 3D Solid of an architectural/structural model from Revit, correct? Then, you want to use your AutoCAD MEP DWG file to send back to the design team using Revit so they can Link into their Revit models, and everything still show up accordingly, correct?

If this is the case, to answer your question, "yes" it will work. However, you can export as IFC to send to the design team using Revit, that way they can convert the IFC file as a native Revit model for improved performance and huge beneficial visibility control. Either way, contact the design firm and work it out. But yes, your AutoCAD MEP model will certainly import fine, although DWG in Revit is a daunting effort for anybody who uses Revit.

Second part: I tried importing an MEP pump model we created into Revit but it mentioned an origin, and the model is now somewhere to be determined (poor pump). I was curious how I can go about finding a relative origin in Revit.
Again, trying to make sense of your question. So, you imported a pump model created in AutoCAD MEP, into Revit MEP, correct? I imagine you do have Revit but don't use it often if at all, so you're just trying to test it, correct?

If this is the case, then Revit gives you three options: Center to Center, Origin to Origin and Shared Coordinates. If you use Origin to Origin, it's the best bet since it aligns the 0,0,0 from you WCS in AutoCAD with the Project Base Point in Revit. Use that method always.

Also, if you want to see the basepoint in Revit, go to Visibility/Graphics > Model Categories > Site and expand it. Turn on Survey Point and Project Base Point. This items are able to be snapped to so if you create a crosshair in the AutoCAD MEP model at the WCS origin point, you can verify it's importing in the right location in Revit. This is a common practice until you get more comfortable with Importing/Linking into Revit.

Hope I read your questions correctly... if not respond by with clarifications and I'll continue to assist. 8)