Easiest way to get the isometric view for these examples?

mikeyyy

Draw them in 3D solids, assuming you have the training in 3D. Otherwise the only way is to draw the old fashioned way. Have you been given instruction in drawing in isometric.

well I did receive instruction in isometric, but I just feel like there is an easier way to do this.. something i read about is paper space viewports?

If you create the 3D models you can use the viewbase command in paperspace layout to get isometric (and the orthographic views you already have).

But the first step to get there is to learn 3D modeling.

I don't think the OP knows how to model just yet but the idea of the exercise is to create a rendering using orthographic projections not trying to create 3d models.

This was one of the first things I had to do when I was first learning.

How did you created that sketch? It would be possible to get the right result from it with some MOVE, TRIM and EXTEND calls, even if would not be very easy.

For sure if your solution was to align the faces in 3D, then will need to convert that into a true 2D sketch: should align the coordinates system (UCS) on current view - call UCS command with View option - and after use FLATTEN command.

A better approach will be to follow the tutorial I have suggested above and start doing it from scratch.

well I did receive instruction in isometric, but I just feel like there is an easier way to do this.. something i read about is paper space viewports?

There are two ways to do an isometric. 1) Old school. Refer to the tutorial in the link by MSasu. 2) Deriving the isometric view from a 3D solid model using either the ViewBase, Flatshot, SectionPlane, SolProf or SolView/SolDraw commands. Of the Five ViewBase would be the easiest.

The "boxify" method you refer to would most likely work best on the simplest of objects. Once the objects start getting more complex I think that method would start to be problematic.

Ok guys hold up your confusing the OP which is apparent from the drawing he did where he basically flipped and rotated the views to match up then more or less taped them together so to speak. Mikeyy you need to perform and orthographic projection of each view 30 degrees relative to each line you project. Then trim and extend as needed and ID you hidden lines. Takes awhile but you can do it.

There is no confusion if one derives the 2D views, including isometric views, from a 3D model.

There are no 3d models in this instant and there will never be any. He has to draw the isometric views by projecting the orthographic views he already has.

This is OP's second exercise - the plan views and his/her isometric attempt (for those who cannot see the picture due to their location):

isom_t.gif

PS. I edited the location of views to get a smaller image.

Ski_Me: Why don't you show him how to do an isometric, using the method you describe, but with a different object? That way the OP will have a better idea what you are suggesting.

....not trying to create 3d models.

This was one of the first things I had to do when I was first learning.

I remember about 10 years ago I sat for a state certification exam where they expected me to create an isometric view the old fashion way.

I modeled it up as 3D (like the real world) and gave them their flattened 2D in a fraction of the time it would have taken me to model the old way. They didn't know what I had done.

Our program now uses 3D as the single source of truth. I recommend to OP start questioning the use of 20th century techniques in the 21st century. There is no technological defense for using outdated techniques - only a historical one.

• 3 weeks later...
Ski_Me: Why don't you show him how to do an isometric, using the method you describe, but with a different object? That way the OP will have a better idea what you are suggesting.

I can't upload files to the forum for some reason I tried. I did do a projection but when I realized I couldn't upload files I didn't bother to save it.