General tips for speedy 3D

Blam

I have a user that is viewing a small 3D drawing. She complains of poor performance and hangups. Running AutoCAD 2013 on Win7, Quadro K2000m, 16GB.

I'm more it now than user of AutoCAD. Can 3D gurus give me some tips on getting better performance out of 3D. She was busy, so I didn't have time to check much but here is what I suggested.

- Disable preview highlighting

- Switch between realistic, conceptual or wireframe when manuvering around model.

- check hardware accel is on.

Any other helpful tips?

Are xrefs being used?

How about layer filters?

What else is running in the background?

How "small" is this "small" 3D drawing really?

Is this a laptop or a workstation she is using?

What is the processor? Speed? # of cores?

That video card and memory should be plenty as long as the processor type, speed is the same quality.

How small is small?

It's a small tank farm, but it does look detailed. We have guys that get complex machine assemblies from vendors and they have every nut modeled. Some of our guys use Inventor shrink-wrap function to help with this. That might be called for in this case.

I didn't check other processes running.

It's a small tank farm, but it does look detailed. We have guys that get complex machine assemblies from vendors and they have every nut modeled. Some of our guys use Inventor shrink-wrap function to help with this. That might be called for in this case.

I didn't check other processes running.

Attach the file so we can view it and then send comments

- Switch between realistic, conceptual or wireframe when manuvering around model.

Definitely. I do this all the time in 3ds Max with really heavy scenes. Switching to Wireframe really helps lighten the load on the processor & GUI when navigating around in the viewport.