How to set default folder for Bak file (AutoCad 2010)?

Sengna

I can understand why something like what lamen has described would be implemented. On a design level, there are times when experimenting that I liked a solution I had before but have long since wiped out and would like to just take a piece of an older version to put into the current version. On a network level, I have also deleted files from the server accidentally and the overnight back-ups were at least a couple of hours worth of work behind. I once deleted a Revit model, which was just about the entire drawing set, thinking I was cleaning up my local files. The two folders looked almost exactly alike that day. But these things happened a total of maybe 3 or 4 times in about 12 years. Each time, I learned my lesson and am more careful during certain operations.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Sengna

• Dana W

• lamensterms

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I can see the reasoning behind keeping a fail-safe backup.

I keep thinking in terms of my own environment where my network consists of a desktop (server) and a laptop. My desktop backs itself up, but I have to load my drawing work from the laptop back to it when I am done with one down there. Normally, I have three copies of all my current working set stuff, counting the external USB drive, with usually only a hour or less in currency differential.

What I try not to do is leave enough time lapse in anything where the .bak files become important.

Rob, just yesterday, I did the exact opposite to deleting something. I had somehow pasted my current project folder inside itself, and was working inside the copy all day. Then, this morning I went to my project folder and discovered my drawing was one day too old, and all the work from yesterday was gone. It took me a few minutes to resuscitate myself and discover the copied folder where my drawing was alive and well.

It sounds like your "issues" are getting the better of your company. Has anyone bothered to look into the problem? Out of date equipment? Poor or sloppy CAD habits? IT not doing its job? Electrical system in need of an upgrade?

Kind of... We are only a small drawing office (4 staff), with no dedicated IT department. And the IT guy we use to service/troubleshoot our PCs is not a CAD user. So I have really taken it upon myself to find solutions in online forums. Most of the ProSteel tech support is channelled through the Bentley website forums, and those thing are a nightmare to use. For a while I had no access with my login credentials, and all of a sudden... My forum account was deleted. To be honest

, the assistance from Bentley hasn't really been forthcoming anyway, so I am finding independent forums are the best sources for help.

Lately we have also started replacing our older PCs (32bit XP) with Win 7 64bit.. And I have noticed a big improvement. In the office, I don't really have the authority or the clout to make greater changes.