Inventor 2015 Game Changers

Lazer

Inventor 2015 looks like a fantastic release of great tools, very interesting they have included Free Form and Direct Modelling looking forward to playing with these :D.

I've got mixed feelings about them.

The direct editing stuff - to me - feels a little bit like laziness, like it's a bit of a substitute for planning ahead. The Free Form tools ... may be more useful. You can definitely do some good organic stuff with those that with earlier versions you'd have spent hours laying out 2D sketches to control 3D sketches to make surfaces from. I haven't played with either of them as much as I'd like, though - I was in 3 Autodesk betas at the same time, and as much as I love Inventor, the other two were more immediately useful to me.

I use Direct modelling using Vanilla Fusion but nothing move than for using the Alias style edge tools then bring it back into IV to continue modelling, I have played with Fusion 360 and it works very well so I welcome the move to include both in Inventor be it an early watered down version of both but over time I'm sure they will get better. ;)

The direct editing works very well when you do drawings for customers that supply the initial drawings as non native files, i.e. SolidWorks, ProE, and so on. I participated in the beta program and using it to directly edit SolidWorks parts was awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Mefloump I also found the direct edit very robust I agree with Bishop you need to say grounded and not get lazy but for non native models it will be handy. The real bonus for me is Tsplines, I have been playing for about 3 days and I can say they are amazing. Fusion 360 has a great set of tspline tools but working inside Inventor jumping from tspline to parametric and back to tspline is just bliss. My job has just got a lot easier.

Great link JD, my current profession is seating across all fields but mostly in the rail sector so you can imagine how tsplines are going to help me. I was using Alias for all the surface models of the soft foam but I can how model in half the time and all staying inside Inventor.

Looks like a fusion of Inventor, Max and Alias combined. Pretty sweet. Might have to install when my BDS Ultimate comes in.

That video is awesome JD. Thanks for posting. I can't wait to get 2015 installed when my new laptop comes. I plan on jumping into Inventor to learn it for building smoker's and grill's. All I have to say is... bye bye AutoCAD!! lol

Never say Bye Bye to Autocad we run it along side Inventor and have developed a workflow that works for our company. The big boss has been pushing to remove Autocad but with over 10,000 autocad drawings on file I think we will keep it for a few years to come:)

What about new companies that do not have existing projects done in AutoCAD? Is it possible then?

And AutoCAD is here to stay. Autodesk makes sure of that... by packaging it with everything.