New i7 machine won't work with our template file.

Glen1980

Our department was working with HP Workstation Z210 i3's and HP Elite 8300 i5's until a new guy started and IT sourced him a HP Elite 800 with an i7 processor. We have been using the same template for a few years and it has always worked with all machines even back when we had glorified word processors as CAD machines.

The second I set our template as standard whether I put it in his c:\user...autocad 2011lt folder or point his computer to the network location the machine constantly crashes, refuses to save and sometimes LT won't even get past the splash screen before crashing.

To be sure, I removed the template and the tool palette from his options->files dialogue and it isn't quite so sensitive now.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a work around? We are network based but each seat has its own licence of 2011LT. We all use windows 7 64 business edition.

I rather doubt it has anything to do with the fact it is an i7 Intel processor. Probably some glitch during the install.

Probably right, I just didn't want people looking at my computer specs and was trying to provide some useful background. May have gone to deep :shock:

The important bit I missed is that it si a reoccurring problem with this machine. The guy who it was bought for has swapped it for our Revit trial so someone else has it now with their own profile and it is still misbehaving. Should I get IT to start with a re-install?

How do you mean verified?

This is my files section. I have all of my paths as Autodesk set them up, however for rest of the team I point their toolpalettes and templates paths to the network drive H:\xxx\xx\CADMIN\Toolpalettes and Template. This works on 26 of our 27 computers.

As this computer went wrong as soon as I setup the templates and tool palettes I copied the template onto the computer at Autodesks original template and reset the toolpalettes location and it still went wrong. This lead me to think it is the template not the tool palette.

paths.jpg

Verified as in checked.

Did you run a test where the template file was sitting on this computer's desktop (locally) as opposed to sitting on the network?

I located the file through the browser if that's what you mean. I didn't just copy in a path as text from somewhere else. I physically clicked onto the file to set it as the default template. Both when I pathed it to the network and when I pathed it to the c: drive.

Maybe you aren't following me here.

Forget the network. Is there a copy of the template file on the new computer's hard drive somewhere (either on the Windows Desktop, sitting alone on the root drive or in a folder on the root drive)? Yes or no?

There is a copy of the dwt file in C:\Users\...\appdata\...\AutocadLT2011\..\Template where autodesk put all of their templates. Even pointing LT to our template in that folder as a default causes this one machine to foul up. I copied it this morning from the network so the user hasn't changed it at all from the one everyone else uses.

Nope it worked fine with that template. IT have done something to the user profile and it appears to have fixed it now. Need to find out if he is using the proper template though.

Thanks for the help BTW ReMark.

My job wasn't to help you so much as it was to keep you busy until IT could fix the problem! LoL

Good to hear the problem appears to be fixed. Thanks for the update.

We redo the users autocad icon to select a user profile, in short copy the master ARG to pc somewhere using default setup load up this ARG make it current close Autocad reopen using the new icon pointing to the new profile name. Your problem sounds a bit like this that the profile was not pointing correctly, also we path the Custom cui to a local drive. we use the c:\users\username as the spot to put this stuff I have the ARG & cuix in mine rest is on server.

2015 ? here we go again.