Problem when trying to export a external reference which is a vector-format pdf

ck00

Hello everyone,

I have some pdf files which are in vector format so I can have a pretty high resolution when I view them.

I import them as a external reference to AutoCAD and add some lines upon them. But problem comes when I export them to pdf file again. The lines I added remain the vector format in the new pdf file but the imported pdf file doesn't.

Does anyone have any ideas how to remain the vector format?

Any help is appreciated!

The PDF, which is a raster image, will not magically change to vector just because you drew some lines over the top of it using AutoCAD.

Actually RM, he said the PDF is in vector format.

Best answer would be to get the .dwg that the PDF was created from and insert it into your file.

2nd best, from what I hear, vector PDFs convert quite nicely to .dwg. Convert and insert.

I was unaware that a PDF can be created in vector format. I'll have to read up on that. What program(s) do that? Illustrator?

I could have sworn that you knew that AutoCAD can do that. I send them out with just about every project. They even have, get this, the AutoCAD layers.

I studiously try to avoid working with PDFs so my knowledge of some of their finer points is lacking. When I see those three letters I automatically think raster.

Now that I think about it, any time I have been asked to create one from an AutoCAD drawing I don't even bother to open it up and look at it before I email it.

There are 3D PDFs, too.

Most of the PDFs I send out are part of a document package so I have to put eyes on every one before I send them out. Granted, there are times when it's a quick page flip just to make sure there are no glaring errors. I find it very embarrassing when the recipient has to request replacement PDFs because, this part really irks me, someone changed the page set-up for a one off plot.

Does AutoCAD LT support the function to convert file from pdf to dwg? Or what kind of third party software do I need?

It is ratter frustrated when I heard the only way is to convert PDFs to DWGs. I have done my work based on PDFs so it means I may need to spend some time to do it again.:(

Does AutoCAD LT support the function to convert file from pdf to dwg? Or what kind of third party software do I need?

It is ratter frustrated when I heard the only way is to convert PDFs to DWGs. I have done my work based on PDFs so it means I may need to spend some time to do it again.:(

Alternatively, if this is something that you will be doing on a regular basis, you could request the PDFs in DWG format.