Can you displaying a property label in a dynamic block?

Hi All.

Is there a way to display the property label from a dynamic block parameter as text within the block iteslf?

Basically I'm creating a dynamic block that can be flipped and it needs to display text to identify it as flipped or not flipped.

I know the flip parameter and it's current state can be seen if you open the block's properties, but is there a way to show this information in the block itself?

It looks like I was wrong. The flip parameter state is available in the block editor but I can't make it persistant so you only get #### when the block is inserted.

There are a few others good at dynamic blocks so they may give better guidance.

Thanks dbroada. I did have a dabble with standard attributes but couldn't get it to work either. However I don't create attributes/fields very often so I wasn't sure if it was my lack of knowledge that was the problem.

I am sure there is a way to include a field in an attribute or MTEXT object so that it will stick. I know somebody (steven-g?) has demonstrated it to me before but I can't remember how. Maybe he will come along and help us out here.

Thanks Steven-g.

I shall dissect it when I get chance (probably Monday now). I must admit I've never used Look-Up before, what does it allow you to do?

Hey all.

I've had a quick play with Lookups, but I'm not sure if it's what I'm after (or more likely I'm not doing them correctly).

Attached is a simplified version of what I am trying to create. I currently use a wipeout to 'change' the text, but while it is OK within a base drawing it can cause some problems when xrefed.

I know I could potentially use VisStates, but they are already used to control which lines are visible within the block (although I haven't added it to this simplified version).

Any more thoughts on acheiving the same effect without using the wipeout?

Flip-01.dwg

• 3 weeks later...

It's taken a bit longer to get back to this than I expected!

Thanks steven-g that is exactly what I'm looking for. I've had a play, but I'm struggling to get the attribute to correctly pick-up and display the look-up values. Any chance you could provide an idiots guide?

• 2 months later...

One of our block libraries needs a complete over-haul (only so many times you can tweak existing resources before they start to fall apart), and I'd like to try and use look-ups as Steven-g suggested.

Unfortunately I'm still having trouble getting the look-up to work properly. It either displays nothing at all, or a string of hash marks. I don't suppose any of you kind souls could give me an idiot level guide on how to incorporating look-ups into a block/reference the flip properties?

Sorry my bad, this was on my todo list I just forgot todo.

Start with your block and add in the flip parameter and flip action for your block, add a lookup parameter and then a lookup action, if you double click on the lookup action it opens a dialogue box

1AddProperties.JPG

this is where you can select to add the flip action to the lookup table

2AddParameter.JPG

the input properties for a flip action only lets you choose 'Not flipped' or 'flipped'

different actions allow other values, the text at the right under lookup properties can be anything you want just make sure that no 2 lines contain the same values or you will get a warning, if all is well you should have the "Allow reverse lookup" text otherwise it will show "Read only"

3AddProperties2.JPG

click ok and exit back into the block editor, next add an attribute to the block with the 'attdef' command, give the attribute a unique TAG and then click on the field button to the right of the default box

4AttdefField.JPG

this opens another dialogue where you can select a value to use in the attribute select 'blockplaceholder' and 'lookup1' as shown and click ok

5AttdefField2.JPG

make sure the attribute mode 'preset' and 'lock position' are checked then click ok and finally exit the block editor saving your changes.

6AttdefField3.JPG

Back in the drawing you will need to run the 'attsync' command to update the block or just insert a new block, and that should now all be working, don't forget the 'regen' when you flip the blocks.

No need to apologies steven-g, I appreciate you are busy and I'm grateful for you taking the time to help me out.

Unfortunately some more pressing work has landing on my desk, so the block update will have to be put on the back-burner for a couple of weeks, but thanks for the step-by-step guide.