tproblems with sweeping this profile

pete1968

I am getting a error when sweeping this profile with a fillet. If i remove the fillet from the profile path it cuts fine. but i need the transition fillet. I dont understand why the fillet is a problem.

Part1.ipt

What is the purpose of Workplane1?

Isn't it the same as the XZ plane?

What is .5-.6875=?

Why use a zero length dimension?

Isn't that the same as a coincident constraint?

Have you installed all Service Packs and Updates for your version of Inventor?

(Hint: the answer is no.)

It looks to me like you are doing extra work.

Sweep.PNG

I am running 2014 - post back if you want step-by step instructions for 2013.

Edited by JD Mather

Thanks I will download new service packs. I created the work plane to see if that was the problem. At first I just sketch plane. Tried a few different things but could not get it to work

Short answer is that either the radius is too tight or your circle is too big. If you're sweeping a circular profile along a path with curves in it - like this one - you need to make sure that the radius of the curves is greater than the radius of your circle or the profile will intersect itself (or even the path sometimes) as it comes around the corner.If you must have that radius as .500, then make your hole less than 1". If you must have the hole the size that it's at, then you need a corner radius greater than the radius of the hole.

This, of course, applies only if you use sweep. If you were to create the holes in a different manner you might be able to keep your shapes as they are.

Sketch5 is unconstrained - missing dimensions and repeated dimensions? What happened to the hole location dimensions?

Sketch7 is unconstrained and only one line required - what is the purpose of the other 3 lines?

Workplane1 is a duplication of the YZ Plane (I am lazy, I try to avoid extra work).

Sketch10 is unconstrained.

Chamfer3 is not precisely the same geometry that would be created by a revolving tool (but close).