new computer tower needed

nclohmeier

I currently am operating AutoCAD 2004 on a windows XP system that has memory still but a processor speed just cannot keep up today. I can't be on the internet and draw at the same time without everything running extremely slow. And since Xp is not being supported after the 8th, I am thinking it's finally time to make a jump. What specifications should I look for that would allow me to be run smoothly even after upgrading the autocad version?

A 64-bit system for starters with a minimum of 8GB of RAM for starters. The rest will depend on your budget.

BTW....you won't be able to upgrade to AutoCAD 2015 without paying full price. AutoDesk has eliminated the upgrade option. Users are now "encouraged" to pick up a yearly "Subscription" which comes at a cost.

Windows 7 with 4Gb of ram would do the job also.
nclohmeier, do not take this advice on the amount of RAM. Please go with ReMark's suggestion as the bare minimum. I would suggest 16GB of RAM for even further sustainable performance in the CAD software you use. The cost difference is between 8GM and 16GB is a non-issue for even the smallest of companies and their computer upgrade budget.

As a point of reference re: RAM. I had to order a new computer for one of our electricians. The company prefers Dell. Their base configuration comes with 8GB of RAM as standard. An upgrade at the time of purchase to 16GB was an extra $35.

Windows 7 with 4Gb of ram would do the job also.

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Those ^ ^ ^ are the MINIMUM specs (RAM and disk space) which if you are doing some serious CAD work I would recommend going beyond.

if you are doing some serious CAD work I would recommend going beyond.

I agree and would recommend nothing less than 8GB RAM as a minimum. As a point of reference, I made the mistake of getting only 8GB in my current system and I sometimes have trouble running 3ds Max and Photoshop at the same time. My machine will start running out of RAM and that's when everything slows to a crawl. I usually have to close one of the programs in order to run the other. I'm looking at upgrading to 24GB RAM pretty soon.

Just make sure you're running a 64 bit operating system if you want to use more than 4GB RAM.

I wasn't saying that it and I agree that it is preferential to have better specs.

I was saying what you can run the program with without too much trouble. I'm doing it myself at the moment.

Yes, better computers would be nice although the beaurucry and approvals required to get them is no short process. We cannot upgrade every year.

I wasn't saying that it and I agree that it is preferential to have better specs. I was saying what you can run the program with without too much trouble. I'm doing it myself at the moment.
The original poster stated "What specifications should I look for that would allow me to be run smoothly even after upgrading the autocad version?". In his other post on the forum, he was interested in 3D software such as CADMep and/or Revit. The specs you recommended weren't at all in favor of the original inquiry - please pay better attention to a poster's direct needs to eliminate any misguided suggestions.

Yes, better computers would be nice although the bureaucracy and approvals required to get them is no short process. We cannot upgrade every year.
Also be aware that not every company operates like your own, and presenting bureaucracy and difficult approvals from your own company does not help the original poster, not to mention your own management woes do not affect him in any way.

"We cannot upgrade every year." That is the perfect reason to get as much computer as you can possibly get.
Could not agree more. Great point ReMark.

Our company expects computers, in general, to last several years. The electrician's computer is 9 years old. When I spec a CAD computer I expect it to last no more than 4 years before needing to be replaced. I had one that went 5 years.

Just approved the specs for a new machine for the guy that works for me.

Dell Optiplex 9020:

Intel core i7-4770

16GB DDR3

nVidia GF GTX 645

256GB SSD primary drive

1TB second drive

DVD Rom

DVD R-W

3 year warranty

$1,500