Very slow to show properties of text and dimensions (Urgent...!)

hoathuong20

Hello,

I am working in a project as a designer, and I am getting a problem with some of my autocad files.

- If the properties table (Ctrl 1) is not show, or "text" and "line" area are not collapsed, everything is normal.

- If I show the properties table, my autocad program will be non-responding every time I click on text or dimension object.

This problem issue with several files in my computer.

Its not resolved when I try to : Purge, delete all other object, copy objects to another autocad file, open error file in another computers.

So please help me with this

It is really terible if autocad program is non-responding for 3 or 4 minutes each time i click on a text :(

Thank you!

I copied some objects to a new autocad file, but it is sill more than 6Mb. I dont know why, So i can not attach it. I uploaded to mediafire

https://www.mediafire.com/?3ome3y8cf3ww39x

Interesting question.

I tried your file and had the same problems with it so it is probably not a problem with your computer although a problem with something in the file.

How was the text made? Was it imported from some other program?

I couldn't see anything causing it though. Perhaps someone else will have a fix for it.

@organic thanks for your mention

My system : core i5, 4Gb ram, 512 Graphics card nVidia, window 7 pro

The text is imported by autocad, and most of them are romans.shx font, a light font. The file was normal before. But one day it suddenly became like that. I tried many method. flatten, PE, purge, change dimension properties, text annotative, overkill, 3dconfig ..... but no result. one more, I dont know why the file is more than 6Mb even it contains only several objects. this surprised me after I copied these object to a new file to upload here.

I am waiting for your helps.

:shock:You have nearly 8,000 line types loaded, including several thousand from xrefs that are not even referenced. I don't know how to get rid of them myself, but that could be the root of your problem. Sometimes simply the size of a dwg file will slow down any select, especially text or hatches. The linetype manager (command linetype) will not let me delete them. It says they are in use.

-purge does not get rid of the lines. Regular purge says they are used, but they are not.

You also have the five big red text items on layer defpoints. Don't use defpoints.

Edited by Dana W

@Dana W I can see unused line types in layer properties, but you say "including several thousand from xrefs that are not even referenced", how to see this, bcos this is a new blank file, then i copied several object to it.

And please instruct me to solve this problem :)

Thank you

My guess would be that the linetypes in question are associated with a Microstation drawing. There is a hotfix available at the AutoDesk website that will fix the problem.

To learn more and to download the hotfix go here...http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-C2-AE-dgn-hotfix.html

Edited by ReMark

We have had similar issues as well (with Microstation drawings). Use the WBLOCK command and create a new file that way. One of the things we found was once ANY object in the drawing is copied and pasted into an existing drawing all the linetypes and X-Refs are brought with it.

@Dana W I can see unused line types in layer properties, but you say "including several thousand from xrefs that are not even referenced", how to see this, bcos this is a new blank file, then i copied several object to it.

And please instruct me to solve this problem :)

Thank you

As I suggested above, the command is Linetype. This will open your linetype manager dialog. You can see all of the linetype names in there. Be forewarned, opening the linetype manager while your drawing was open on my computer, a brand new I 5 with lots of memory, hogged the computer down to a crawl. In fact, I had to turn on Task Manager to close AutoCad because it became unresponsive when I was scrolling the linetype list up and down.

While I had the Linetype dialog open, I tried to delete the linetypes not assigned to any layer, but it would not let me. Autocad thinks they are in use, but of course, they are not. That's when I rememebered the Microstation linetype issue that ReMark brought up.

Just download the hotfix ReMark linked to, and fix it.

Thanks all

I found the solution for this problem :)

following DanaW, I have known that so many line types and text styles caused this problem. So I looked for the way to remove unused text styles and line styles that purge command cant erase. I found 2 methods for this on cadtutor.net :

1. Use WBLOCK ->Entire drawing.

2. Save the file and reference files as DFX file -> PURGE -> Save as DWG file. In DFX format, we can purge deeper and erase unused objects that cant be purged in DWG format.

Now everything comes normal and my file is light.

You can try these two method on my uploaded file.

Thanks all ^^

The hotfix can fix this problem, cant it? can you give me download link? So this is an autodesk error. anyway, a quicker solution is needed becos i dont want to save as all my drawing to solve this problem

Thanks

You can do this the easy way using the hotfix or the hard way it doesn't matter to me. It is whatever works best for you.

Thank you Remark

I followed your instruction to use the hotfix, and I think this is perfect solution

The command DNGPURGE removed more than 5000 unused text style and line style

Thank again :)

• 4 months later...
Thank you Remark

I followed your instruction to use the hotfix, and I think this is perfect solution

The command DNGPURGE removed more than 5000 unused text style and line style

Thank again :)

Dear hoathuong20, I have the same problem. And my AutoCad (2014) don't understand this command: DNGPURGE. May you help me? Or someone?

Thanks

Dear hoathuong20, I have the same problem. And my AutoCad (2014) don't understand this command: DNGPURGE. May you help me? Or someone?

Thanks]

You can do like this :

1. Open the file, use command DXFOUT , choose a temporary name to save, for example abc.

2. In any drawing (not abc.dxf) use command DXFIN -> select abc.dxf.

3. In drawing abc.dxf use command DXFOUT , choose another temporary name, for example def.

4. use command DXFIN -> select def.dxf.

5. PURGE -> you can remove all unecessary object in this dxf file. then you can save as dwg drawing.

Remember, you have to save as dxf twice in order to PURGE these object.

By the way, I hear from someone that Autodesk has a hotfix package to fix this problem for autocad 2013 (occure everywhen copy objects). I mean not the DGNPURGE hotfix, because I am using Autocad LT 2013, I can not use NETLOAD, APPLICATION LOAD, I can not open every autocad file, xref file and save as DXF twice for every file as above @@ I need a hotfix installed directly to autocad LT. So anyone knows about this? Please help me!

Thank you