Which tutorial sites are best?

tzframpton

Out of the links provided here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?29434-Free-Studio-Max-Tutorial-Sites-amp-Other-Stuff, which would be best for a beginner who wants to simply get familiar with the interface? Thank you for this Sticky too, btw.

Edited by Cad64
Posts moved from original thread, edited to add link for context

Thank you Cad64, I will check it out. I'm ready for 3ds... I'm thinking about retiring completely from fiddling with AutoCAD anymore. Revit and 3ds is where I'm putting all my efforts from this point forward.

Okay, I just finished watching the Realistic Lightbulb tutorial and I am absolutely stunned. I now am almost mad at myself for not giving up AutoCAD long ago for 3D modeling. Talk about a sense of peeing in the wind. I had no idea you could have that much control over 3D objects. I'm actually somewhat horrified at what I'm about to embark on, but the journey will be fun.

The approach and editing tools are so intuitive in 3ds.... I really had no idea. No idea at all.

Thanks again for the tutorial site. I'll most certainly be back with questions in soon time.

*edit*

Now I wish I had started my guitar project in 3ds. I need to find another object around the house like that to use as a go-by for practice. Hmmmmm *looks around office*

I'm glad you're finally seeing the light. Building models in Autocad was always a very tedious process for me. I remember always having to plan ahead and think several steps in advance in order to figure out how to create whatever I needed to create. But in Studio Max, you just do it. There isn't really a lot of forethought or planning needed. You just jump in and start creating. I never liked building models in Autocad. As a matter of fact, I actually hated it. But once I started using Studio Max, I found that working in 3D was actually fun, and addicting. :)

You should redo the guitar in Studio Max. Since you already went through the pain of doing it in Autocad, doing it again in Max will really show you how much faster and easier it is to do the same work.

• 2 months later...

I'm really only looking into the core basics of 3DS Max: Viewport manipulation, camera movement and the like.

I'd rather start from scratch and get it right rather than treat it like AutoCAD with added bells and whistles..

• 1 month later...
I'm really only looking into the core basics of 3DS Max: Viewport manipulation, camera movement and the like.

I'd rather start from scratch and get it right rather than treat it like AutoCAD with added bells and whistles..

I've been learning from someone on YouTube for 3DSMax Tutorage. He breaks down everything in 3DSMax like navigating the toolbars and what each tab does, etc etc.

- The first part, which covers the basics of what you need to know when navigating the toolbar.

I'd recommend making notes as some of this stuff is great to refer to.

Edited by PotGuy
Added quote