Stock materials in 3ds Max seems scant?

tzframpton

I was looking for some type of carpet material in 3ds Max last night and maybe I'm not looking in the right location. Under the Rendering menu, I see three options: Material Editor, Material/Map Browser and Material Explorer. I couldn't even get anything to populate in Material Browser, which I'm thinking only explorers the current scene, correct? Material/Map Browser has hardly anything at all.

I do see the stock Autodesk Material Library towards the bottom, but I was hoping 3ds Max had an abundance of even better material selections. So is this all I get, the same stuff from AutoCAD? Or do people purchase material content packs and scour Google for items?

Just inquiring is all, thanks!

-Tannar

I'm not at my home computer, so I can't give you a detailed response about the stock materials right now, but there are actually quite a lot and you should be able to access them through the material editor. I almost never use the standard materials that ship with the program though. I get all my textures from cgtextures.com and create my own materials.

I'm not at my home computer, so I can't give you a detailed response about the stock materials right now, but there are actually quite a lot and you should be able to access them through the material editor. I almost never use the standard materials that ship with the program though. I get all my textures from cgtextures.com and create my own materials.
Bookmarked!! Thanks for the link.

I don't create materials much. I usually start with something then modify it, but then again I've only used AutoCAD for rendering so can't say that I've really dove into it yet. I'm about to start setting up a scene I have in Max... my first real "render" using Max... yikes!

:)