Viewports ontop of viewports

bumblebbabe

I have a landscape plan in 1 viewport and a tree planting schedule in another viewport. I want the planting schedule to sit "ontop" of the landscape plan so that you can't see anything underneath the planting schedule.

The only way I currently know of doing this is by creating a custom viewport via the polygonal viewport tool to draw an "L" shape viewport for the landscape plan, and then my tree planting schedule would sit next to it.

This is a fine way of doing it, but if I ever want to edit anything in the landscape plan, I find it a little annoying, so was just wondering if there was an easier way that I dont know about.

Any help, or a link to a thread addressing this problem would be greatly appreciated (had trouble googling the issue because I couldnt think of the correct words to use)

Thanks! :)

@tzframpton

I could put the schedule in paperspace in this scenario, but there are other times that I want to do perhaps a detailed blow up of a certain area at a different scale, which I would need to do via a viewport.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have multiple viewports on each other, you can use ctrl+R to cycle through each of them. I try to avoid viewports on each other, but you can do that if necessary, or drag one viewport "long" and you can click in it that way.

Check out the VPCLIP command. You still need to draw the desired shape of the viewport but it can applied to an existing viewport.

This is a fine way of doing it, but if I ever want to edit anything in the landscape plan, I find it a little annoying, so was just wondering if there was an easier way that I dont know about.

Any help, or a link to a thread addressing this problem would be greatly appreciated (had trouble googling the issue because I couldnt think of the correct words to use)

Thanks! :)

Could you explain what is annoying about editing in a L shaped viewport, I am not understanding your problem. For the record I avoid any viewport that isn't a rectangle, preferring to have two rectangles of different sizes to show model space when needed.