Autocad 2014 LT working slow

arunz

Dear all,

my system was very slow when i opened 2 more drawings in same time using Autocad 2014 LT.. but if i am working in single drawing to open it was fast...

what is the problem it?

What are your system specs?

What is the drawing file size for each of the drawings?

What else is running in the background?

Are xrefs being used?

Are layer filters being used?

the drawings file size were 4.67mb and 8.76mb when i opend work in two drawings i got that problem if i close one to work the system was fast ...but its not a Xref drawing normal ..

Capture.PNG

What OS are you running?

What else is running in the background? MS Office? Antivirus? Browser?

How is it that you have 8GB of RAM but only 3.39GB is usable?

My gut feeling is it's a combination of inadequate of amount of RAM and large file size.

What do you have for a graphics card or is does the system utilize an onboard graphics chip?

If I remember right 32 bit OS could only use 4G RAM, that might explain the low usable number. I can't help but notice that big ol' 1.0 for the Windows Experience. Something is wrong or needs serious updating.

• 2 weeks later...

32bit Windows, all versions, can only use 3Gig of RAM: but that shouldn't act as you describe: is this a new problem? Did something change recently on the PC?

Putting 8GB of RAM in a 32-bit system would actually slow the computer to a crawl. While one can put 4GB of RAM in a 32-bit system normally the system will only address about 80% of it and that's with the 3/GB switch enabled in the boot.ini file. One member here will tell you it is possible to go beyond that limit but given what the user has to do to achieve that goal it isn't worth the trouble as most would find the process too technical.

Edited by ReMark

I use many files much larger than those on a 32-Bit Windows.

I would guess graphics card or other computer/network problems.

Like RobDraw stated, I would look into the 1.0 Windows experience for a start.

How does 8GB of RAM slow a 32-bit system to a crawl, just curious?

32bit Windows, all versions, can only use 3Gig of RAM: but that shouldn't act as you describe: is this a new problem? Did something change recently on the PC?

That is flat out false. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_server_2003_r2

Just for one example.

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Limit on X86 64 GB

I think the problem of too much RAM actually slowing down a computer was prevalent in older versions of Windows like Win95, 98 and ME. Microsoft even had a knowledge base article on the subject. And there was one Award BIOS that had a problem until a BIOS update was released. Can't recall which one that was though.

It still begs the question though, why would anyone put 8GB of RAM in a 32-bit system? Money to burn?

Yeah but Server versions aren't really the same as desktop versions, iirc. I think we are about to argue over "semantics". I think it's best to say that only 64bit desktop systems can address "more" than 4gb of ram. From the PAE area on MSDN.....link

"Certain 32-bit versions of Windows Server running on x86-based systems can use PAE to access up to 64 GB or 128 GB of physical memory, depending on the physical address size of the processor. For details, see Memory Limits for Windows Releases."

Sounds like other variables come into play as well.

I think the problem of too much RAM actually slowing down a computer was prevalent in older versions of Windows like Win95, 98 and ME. Microsoft even had a knowledge base article on the subject. And there was one Award BIOS that had a problem until a BIOS update was released. Can't recall which one that was though.

Sure if the machine still use BIOS (and not UEFI) then this might be worth looking at for sure. I do agree that 1.0 Windows rating has me confused as well.