Screen Recording Software

Nobull84

Not really too related to CAD but some may have some input for this question:

Does anyone know of any GOOD screen recording software that happens to also be free? (I know those two don't usually mix; good and free)

I currently have been using "CamStudio" and I have nothing but problems with it due to me using it beyond it's capabilities. I am trying to record tutorials for my company involving CAD, Bluebeam and multiple screens. Camstudio just can't handle the multiple screens and too much movement. If anyone would have some suggestions, it would be helpful.

Step two in this would be convincing my IT dept. next....

Thanks for your time!

-Nobull

CamStudio has been mentioned here in the past. Find it here...http://camstudio.org/

Yeah. Funny how we all like stuff that is free and good.

2GB is Camstudio's limitations as well. Recording times varies per quality settings. And unfortunately, I'm sure my company won't dish out any money for software. I'm at a loss of what to do to present this in a decent manner without better software. Thanks for the tho TZ. I'll look into Jing but at a quick glance, it looks very similar.

-Nobull

Jing is really awesome. Any time I need more than five minutes, I just break the sessions into two parts. I rarely need more than ten minutes of record time.

But Jing is quick, extremely easy, and free public broadcasting via screencast.com built right in.

I'm not familiar with the software you mention above; I also use Jing, but mostly for posting to forums (the little that I do record).

For our internal workflow recordings, a cost-effective option might be SnagIt, which can also record video (not just screen shots & editor), and the recordings can be stored to your network as individual video files. I've historically used SnagIt's video files, linked to thumbnails in a WPF Browser Application I developed as an internal resources application (for access to tutorials, forms, client criteria, etc.).

For a more enhanced non-linear video editor, you might consider Camtasia Studio, or full-on After Effects (which is my preference, having studied Computer Animation in college).

HTH

*UPDATE*

I haven't really been able to download anything yet. But I was informed that if the cost is not substantial (near $50 or less) my company would probably in fact purchase a program. Does anyone have any experiences with any paid versions that may be of better quality?

thanks again,

-Nobull

I've used the free version of Jing previously and found it to be good and easy to use. As mentioend above this may be your best option.

We have a license of Camtasia although I've only used it for basic videos, none of the editing features.

I've got Snagit on my laptop although was not aware it could record video. I'll have to try that out some time.

• 1 year later...

I've used Camtasia Studio 8. At $300 ($179 educational) it is probably more than you want to spend but has a host of features of which I have only used a few. I liked the ability to zoom, highlight screen areas, and the ability to edit the sound track (I was able to replace one misspoken word with the correct word). You can see a sample of my Camtasia Studio results here:

You can also use it to produce a video from Power Point and toggle between several applications that are running on your PC.

If you plan to include a narration it is important to have a decent USB headset with microphone. I found the Plantronics 478 to be a good unit http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/audio-478

I am not sure how Camtasia Studio compares with the $50 Snag It from the same company.

~Lee

Autodesk's Screencast is only as free as their 360, Online (not-so-much) Help, and Knowledge Base... That is to say that they do not cost you money, but you're required to have an account to use Screencast, which is automagically logged in when viewing KB articles, etc via their SSO (Single Sign On) malarkey, with which they track what you do, when you do it... No monetary cost, but you're now consuming unnecessary local/server/network resources, in addition to doing their market research for them, for free, with no option to opt out.

As to the question of Snagit video recordings; they're greatly simplified from that of Camtasia, but the resultant, massive video files make it hard to distribute beyond your office's internal network, etc, and even then they can still take up a lot of storage space on your file server... I've still got a handful of them for quick +/- 30 second clips of tools/workflows that I developed years ago... So it can be of benefit of stored on USB drive, etc.

Cheers

Autodesk's Screencast is only as free as their 360, Online (not-so-much) Help, and Knowledge Base... That is to say that they do not cost you money, but you're required to have an account to use Screencast, which is automagically logged in when viewing KB articles, etc via their SSO (Single Sign On) malarkey, with which they track what you do, when you do it... No monetary cost, but you're now consuming unnecessary local/server/network resources, in addition to doing their market research for them, for free, with no option to opt out.

Cheers

Don't forget that also anything done with Autodesk Screencast and uploaded to their server is now their property. So all the how-do and tutorials you spend all your time on is now Autodesks.

>I am not sure how Camtasia Studio compares with the $50 Snag It from the same company.

TechSmith's SnagIt is great for video capture. The videos can then be edited with Microsoft's Movie Maker.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-live/windows-essentials-help#v1h=tab1

For mouse animation, this works well enough to justify purchase: http://www.markuswelz.de/software/features.html

hth,

Hugh Adamson

www.hatchkit.com.au