Modifying Dimension Styles

psuengineer84

I work for a firm that has horrible drafting conventions - i.e. exploded dimensions, etc.

So, I am *trying* to match their crappy hand-drawn dimension style with a standard style.

My question is how to remove the lines perpendicular to the extension lines that extend outside of the arrows when the dimension is very tight. See the attached sketch.

I DO NOT want to have to explode the dimensions to make this stupid change I am being asked to do. Also, is there any way to add a leader arrow on the dimension text leader?

Thanks!

Sketch.jpg

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

You will find the solutions to these issues on the FIT tab in the DIM STYLE MODIFY dialog.

HORRIFIC! Exploded dimensions, now there is a really bad standard, if I ever heard of one! :beer:

don't explode dimensions.JPG

That solves half of my problem! The only problem is that I want the dot to be retained, and that "sideways extension line" or whatever it is called to go away. I tried using a custom arrow block, but ACAD seems to still add that line. I have no idea why this is a big deal to them but it is. :/

I will not draw dimensions with lines and text!!! Will not! LOL

Thanks!

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

You will find the solutions to these issues on the FIT tab in the DIM STYLE MODIFY dialog.

HORRIFIC! Exploded dimensions, now there is a really bad standard, if I ever heard of one! :beer:

That solves half of my problem! The only problem is that I want the dot to be retained, and that "sideways extension line" or whatever it is called to go away. I tried using a custom arrow block, but ACAD seems to still add that line. I have no idea why this is a big deal to them but it is. :/

I will not draw dimensions with lines and text!!! Will not! LOL

Thanks!

See the lines tab in the picture on post #2? Go there, set Extend beyond ticks to zero.

That affects the extension lines perpendicular to the dimension line, unfortunately.
No, that is incorrect. Look carefully. The control I am refering to is under the Dimension line category. What you are referring to is for the extension lines, that one is controlled by the Extend beyond Dim Lines distance.

ADD IN EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read some of the intermediate posts. I just saw where you already tried my solution below and it didn't work.

I tried using a custom arrow block, but ACAD seems to still add that line.
In any case I will leave my dissertation in just in case somebody else wants to know how to include a custom arrowhead, or any of the well trodden ground I re-trod.:oops: These arrowheads were adopted by Autodesk as the most widely used "standards" in the country many years ago. What you really should do is tell your boss he is spitting into the wind.END OF ADD IN EDIT:

In any case, I don't think either selection will help you. I finally figured out what you are dealing with. I should have known what it was from the gitgo. It is the tiny little line that is part of your (Dot) arrowhead.

These lines indicate which way your arrowhead is pointing. They flip when the arrowheads are moved to the outside because they won't fit between the extension lines. There is no way to get rid of that line while using an AutoCad standard arrowhead. What you can do for that is to make a block consisting of a DOT with no line. Name it onlydot or something. Dot is already taken. Then select it in the arrowheads dropdown. See the bottom of the lists "User Arrow". Even then, I am not sure it will get rid of the line. AutoCad may arbitrarily add the line in for any arrowhead.

Of course, everyone who uses that dimension style will have to have your new block in their drawing. You can stick it in the new template dwt file, and as a block in the design center.

If that works, to change older drawings, first modify the old dim style to include the new onlydot block as the arrowhead. Then qselect all dimensions, open the dimstyle choice dropdown list, click the dimstyle. Now type regen. All the dimensions should then have the new arrowhead.

Edited by Dana W

On the LINES tab you can SUPPRESS the DIMLINES 1 & 2.

The horizontal line is called the dim line, and the first half of it,

starting from where it is drawn is dimline 1, after the midpoint it becomes

dimline 2. You probably understand that the window previews any

changes you are considering in the dim stylle modification dialog.

suppress the dimlines if you want.JPG

I'm sorry. I am just not getting it. I appreciate the help, though. I decided to tackle this from a different angle...