Using of the LISP Programming Language in AutoCAD?

tipu_sultane

LISP Programming Language?

While using AutoCAD I came to know that there is a language exist LISP.

I searched about it and got many information.

But I want to ask that " Is there any logic to use LISP in AutoCAD?"

There is also many other language like C, C++, C#, JAVA etc... but in AutoCAD using LISP why?.

Is AutoCAD supports the other Languages or possibility to do it?

And which type of this language is it (about LISP)?

Means structure programming or Object-Oriented Language.?

Is there any possibilities that one can change the program written in LISP in to C, C++ etc. or Vice Versa?

Please guide me the way to learn LISP easily (Books, softwares, websites etc.).

I am good in C and have knowledge about C++ also.

Edited by tipu_sultane
Typing mistake

There were more API's integrated into AutoCAD - those were useful to develop tools that will automate drawing processes, make calculations or even to define custom entities. May worth to take a look on the threads from development sub-forum for examples.

The one you were talking is AutoLISP, a proprietary language derived from LISP. It is not Object Oriented - for such aproach may want to check the .Net API instead.

To get started in AutoLISP, a good resource is AfraLISP.

There was some programs around that can convert lisp to C, L2C, these started when Autocad commenced supporting C as a programming language. They were not free. Now you would just go .NET

Lisp in Autocad has been around since nearly the beginning of Autocad. Maybe 18 versions ago. If you can use Notepad you can create lisp's.

LISP Programming Language? While using AutoCAD I came to know that there is a language exist LISP.

I searched about it and got many information.

But I want to ask that " Is there any logic to use LISP in AutoCAD?"

.. but in AutoCAD using LISP why?.

I started programming with it back in R12 version because it was simple to use and no need for an expensive compiler to creating custom routines/functions/commands. Now with the VLISP interface it's even easier. Using a .net language means saving your work, start AutoCAD , load the app. If you need to make a simple change or edit you close AutoCAD, reload your file edit save and then start CAD and load it again. With lisp or Vlisp I can test and run it while in AutoCAD. It's also easier for others to read the routine and change it to fix their needs with very little programming experience. Another thing I like about it is with AutoCAD MAP3D for labels I can string different properties or data together with a lisp statement.

The language was introduced in AutoCAD Version 2.18 in January 1986.

It was one of the easy language to learn and could be used in it's raw form.

You can use any text editor to write with and it has simple to very complex usage's.

Although AutoCad now supports many languages, AUTOlisp has remained the most widely used.

Because you can use it without a compiler and you do not have to go to school to learn how to program, use or implement it into AutoCad.

There a several web sites you can go to and learn LISP free and many of books have been written on the AUTOlisp programing.

AUTO is a dialect of LISP programming language, and is the second old language for programing started in 1958 and only proceeded by Fortran (not the easy language to learn).

Hay not that old I have been in the drafting field 25 years and spent 10 in the service before that.

YEP this Photo is from my younger days, You know I was still in my (late) 40's

Hay not that old I have been in the drafting field 25 years and spent 10 in the service before that.

YEP this Photo is from my younger days, You know I was still in my (late) 40's

Started on the board in 1972, took a break from it in 74/75 then went back to it and computers in 1996.

I feel better I thought I was the only one that played football with J.C. and the boys. LOL. You must have been on the senior year team at that year. LOL again.

I feel better I thought I was the only one that played football with J.C. and the boys. LOL. You must have been on the senior year team at that year. LOL again.

Our school was so small we would of had to pull kids from the elementary grades to field a football team.