Unable to copy and paste / generate blocks

chris820

Hopefully someone can help me. I recieved a cad file from a landscape architect. Durring our design process, we have made many modifications to this drawing. The problem is that I cannot create and blocks, nor can I copy/cut anything out of this drawing. I can insert and paste elements from our normal architectural set, but I can't take anything out. I've tried turning everything to one layer, and then purging, but it still wont work. The original plan was generated on AutoCAD 2006 and was saved down for our AutoCAD 2000LT (soon to be replaced with 2006LT). Is this a security feature I don't know about? Is there any way to fix this? HELP!

Have you tried saving file 'XXXXX.dwg', as a new drawing ie. - saveas -'XXXXX-1.dwg'? This may give you some more enviromental control.

OR, try inserting file 'XXXXX.dwg' into one of your standard files as a block.

I've had some files in the past that were crap in their base form (ie as given to me) and one or other of the above sorted the problem out.

Also, if some entities were created with a bolt on such as Cad-Duct this tends to kods up the base file.

If it is a security feature which I've not heard about, I'd welcome an answer from the forum too.

I've tried the "save as" thing. I've tried turning it in to a block. I've even tried taking simple little drawings that i drew myself in the "0" layer and copying it out, and nothing. I even took that little drawing, erased everything else in the file, got rid of all the tabs, purged everything out, and STILL, I can't copy or write a block out of that drawing. I'm begining to think there's just something corrupt in the drawing. All the layers are on and thawed.

Are you using the LT version of AutoCAD? if so you can't do anything with blocks. in fact, lots of features aren't availiable in the LT version. i say this because from your wording in the 1st post, it seems that someone else drew it in the full version then sent to you in the LT version.

other than that, i dunno. one of these AutoCAD pro's is gonna have to answer that one lol. :lol:

I do use an LT version, and have for years, but I've never encountered this problem. I've modified drawings from all sorts of different companies who use bolt-ons to generate their drawings, and never had this happen. To be a little more detailed, this is exactly what happens. If I go and try to use cut or copy, everything happens as normal. I can highlight what i need. I can pick a basepoint. No error messages, nothing. When I go in to any other drawing and hit paste, nothing happens at all. No layers are added. No image appears. Now, if i try to write a block, everything happens as usual again. The dialog box asking for file name, insertion point, objects......all as normal. The one thing that is different though, is that the small preview doesn't appear once to create the block, and of course, no file is generated. Thats, why I'm here. I have nothing to work with to troubleshoot this! The drawing in question contains the landscape information for a multi-million dollar estate and would take so many hours to replicate in a clean file. :(

Have you tried running the AUDIT command on the drawing to see if there are any errors?

You said the drawing was created in 2006. Are you sure it wasn't created in 2007? What you are describing is a known problem since 07 is not compatible with any previous version of Acad.

Yes, I've run Audit several times and each time it detects no errors. The drawings were generated at the end of last year on the full version of 2006, then saved down to 2000LT. Again, something ive had mechanical engineers, surveyers, and drafters from all kinds of trades do for me over and over.

• 4 years later...