Reference Publication for AutoCad 2015

FilipsicW

I am just starting out in AutoCad and I am looking for a recommended publication as reference for AutoCad 2015. I have looked on Amazon and they have quite a selection, but there are times that authors can explain things a little clearer.

Thank you for the assistance.

Bill

It amazes me how fast these books come out. Having never looked at them, I have a question. Are they basically the same as the previous version with some additions/changes for the current version.

It amazes me how fast these books come out. Having never looked at them, I have a question. Are they basically the same as the previous version with some additions/changes for the current version.

I've got quite a few of the AutoCad getting started/AutoCad reference/AutoCad mastering/Civil 3D getting started & mastering etc and by and large they are the same year after year [the company pays].

Some chapters get improved slightly or there might be a new chapter or two on new features although nothing much changes. However, this is not so much a reflection on the authors (who most of them work for Autodesk in some form or another) although a reflection on AutoCad & AutoCad Civil 3D and how each new release is not bringing much of substance.

E.g. if you look at http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?85402-AutoCAD-2015-What-s-New&highlight=autocad+2015 it is hard to see what exactly could be new in the 2015 AutoCad books. Half a dozen pages on lasso selection, a few more on new viewport tools etc... although by and large not a whole lot more. Civil 3D is similar; the chapter in the books on pressure pipe networks will be expanded slightly and they might include a bit about pointclouds if they did not already.

The biggest change between the 2014 & 2015 books will be the ribbon colour if the authors bother to update all the images/screenshots.

Finkelstein and Omura are right up there with some of the best authors of after-market AutoCAD books.

I agree with you about Finklestein for AutoCad.

Eric Chappell is the best Civil 3D author in my opinion. I don't rate too many of the others.

....I agree with you about Finklestein for AutoCad. ..

Well since this keeps getting Kudos - as an instructor I get most books sent to me for free. Perhaps the last book I would recommend is the Finklestein book. No, I take that back - I couldn't recommend the Finklestein book.

Edited by JD Mather

Well since this keeps getting Kudos - as an instructor I get most books sent to me for free. Perhaps the last book I would recommend is the Finklestein book. No, I take that bake - I couldn't recommend the Finklestein book.

I met her back at one of the last AU I went to 2006/7 (?) She makes a living writing "How Do" books for AutoCAD and MS Office products. I was one of the tech editors for one of the AutoCAD Bibles versions a few years ago. A lot of the issues with "some" books are the publishers want it their way, as much as the authors and technical editors say it should be their way its the publisher that has the last say. I always say no one book is perfect, but one is better than none.

Well since this keeps getting Kudos - as an instructor I get most books sent to me for free. Perhaps the last book I would recommend is the Finklestein book. No, I take that back - I couldn't recommend the Finklestein book.

Why not? Please.