1:1250 Location Plan Woes

Hi Guys,

I am very new to AutoCAD and am learning my way around and now have a basic grasp of most basic features. I am however having one particular problem at the moment.

I am producing some drawings for a planning application to my local council and I need to add a 1:1250 scale plot drawing. I have downloaded a .dwg map from Promap and all seems fine in model space. The problems arise when trying to create the scaled drawing on layout (paper). The scale I need is not present so I created a custom scale but the outputted drawing is like a pin prick and no mater what I do I just cant for the life of me figure out how to get it to scale correctly. Can anyone give me major assistance by offering a step by step from opening autocadltiso to the finished 1:1250 scaled drawing on A4.

Many Many Thanks

Justin.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mifty12

• ReMark

• eldon

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you create this new scale of 1:1250, basically you are creating a ratio between what is in model space to what is in paper space. In other words, if your model space is set to meters and the model is in millimeters, then when creating this scale of 1:1250 the paper units: 1000, and drawing units:1250. On the other hand, if model space and paper space are set to the same units, then when creating this scale of 1:1250 the paper units: 1, and drawing units:1250. Test this out.

:)

Okay thanks. I have just checked the drawing in both model and paper and they both match. I am exporting it to pdf so maybe it is something to do with the conversion between the two?

Are you sure that the Promap uses millimetre units?

Check the width of a road. If it is 6000 units, then it is in millimetre units. If it is 6 units, then it is in metre units.

Okay thanks. I have just checked the drawing in both model and paper and they both match. I am exporting it to pdf so maybe it is something to do with the conversion between the two?

Is there an issue with adobe rescaling when you export?

No. The pdf is created by the parameters of your layout, color, paper size, scale and all.

I think it best if you attach a copy of the drawing to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it and then tell you the exact steps you need to follow.

I have one recommendation right off the bat. Create a layer specifically for your viewports and set it to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager.

Both of your layouts have unusual viewport scales. Can you verify what you want the scale of the viewport in Layout1 and Layout2 to be? Thank you.

I am VERY new to this, only been playing around for a week and the template was one i 'borrowed' from another drawing so that could be the problem !! Layout 2 is redundant anyway so it is only one layout i am concerned with which i need to print out in 1:1250 metric if possible.

When I said to check the width of the road, I was meaning you to measure something on the plan that you could know roughly what the measurement should be. Fences are not standard, so there is no profit in measuring that.

Layout1 has imperial measurement for an A4, and Layout2 has metric measurement for an A4.

Do you want the printout to be landscape or Portrait alignment?

Portrait-Landscape.JPG

Sorry for what probably appear to be basic questions but how have you established layout 2 was imperial as -dwgunit shows it metric my end?

I said that Layout2 was metric, because I measured the page size and it was (approx) 230mm by 165mm which can fit on an A4.

If you can click on the viewport line (outside line) and then in Properties change the scale to Custom Scale of 0.8, which is calculated from 1000 (drawing units in millimetres) divided by required scale 1250.

The plan has units of a metre.