psuengineer84

I cannot figure out how to get a field to update to a linear parameter within a dynamic block.

See attached. There is a regular dimension string on the left and my custom dynamic block on the right. Don't mind that the action parameters do not affect the field, as I will update that when I figure this thing out. :)

Thanks!

SMALL_DIM.dwg

Add a field as the default value of the attribute, to add the field, open the attribute in the attribute editor, and then right click in the default box and choose insert field, a dialogue will open to let you choose the value you want to use, choose the Blockplaceholder for the field with the parameter that you wish to use. You will need to insert a new block to see the effect, and when you stretch the block action a regen will update the value in the field.

SMALL_DIM.dwg

field.png

Excellent!:D I think I wasn't inserting a new block. I had read an article that fields within blocks had to be DTEXT and not MTEXT. It appears that is the case.

You wouldn't believe why I am doing this...my firm draws their dimensions and leaders with basic lines, arrows, and dtext. It is horrible, and I can't quite get a dimension style to match their 'style'.

The word prehistoric comes to mind. :shock: I hope that they let you do the notes in Autocad and not add them to the paper copies after they are printed.

HAHA! Exactly, and close-minded. It is so weird, because they have kept up with the latest versions, but use 1/99999 of the features. They might as well be using r14.

Good thing AutoCAD's word-processor is starting to keep up with Microsoft Word!

Thanks, Steven. I'll be back, I am sure, with some other cockamamie work-around...