AutoCAD 2007 crashes when I try to convert to PDF

Danarchi

Hello! I am new here and here's my first question:

After not using AutoCAD for 4-5 months, I don't know what happened, but now when I tried to convert my DWG to PDF (that I've done successfully a million times in the past) it crashes and the program shuts down. I 've tried doing it both ways: plot... and Convert to PDF (directly from the toolbar). Every time it crashes right when I am supposed to give a name to the file and select "where to save it". What's happening?!

I hope I explained the problem well and you know what I'm talking about. :)

Thank you!

AutoCAD 2007, OS Windows 7.

When was the last time you emptied your internet history and temp files? Sounds like there is no room in the temp file for your pre-saved image of the pdf. 2007 version can create some HUGE pdf files.

Firstly, thank you for your time. Secondly, I tried to do what you said. I went to "history"-"clear recent history" and i cleared the "cache". Is that what you meant? I also went to my C/ drive to check my temp file and it was empty. So, I tried to convert to PDF again and the same problem happened... If you mean something different, please explain it to me!

P.S. My E/ drive (where all my files like movies, photos etc. are) is full. My C/ is ok, 31 GB free. If there's a problem with my RAM how could I know?

Thanks a lot!

Firstly, thank you for your time. Secondly, I tried to do what you said. I went to "history"-"clear recent history" and i cleared the "cache". Is that what you meant? I also went to my C/ drive to check my temp file and it was empty. So, I tried to convert to PDF again and the same problem happened... If you mean something different, please explain it to me!

P.S. My E/ drive (where all my files like movies, photos etc. are) is full. My C/ is ok, 31 GB free. If there's a problem with my RAM how could I know?

Thanks a lot!

Well, I was taking a shot in the dark, since all newly created files, pdf or otherwise are kept in the temp folder until they are saved. Is there any error message? We don't have a lot to go on.

I don't even use my AutoCad when I want to plot, pdf or otherwise. AutoCad has always created HUGE pdf files. I use TrueView 2014 free from AutoDesk. It is a viewing and printing program that looks just like AutoCad. It will also convert newer dwg versions to earlier releases so you can open 2014 dwgs with your 2007 program. In TrueView Publish options, you can elect to not include layer and/or block information in the pdf document, just like in newer versions of AutoCad. I have had TrueView produce 350 kb pdfs with excellent resolution when AutoCad does the same plot at over 1.5 meg.

It is also much easier to find the batch plot (multi-page pdfs) option in TrueView, mostly because my LT 2009 doesn't even have it.

Since 2007 didn't have the ability to Plot to PDF you must be using a separate Plot to PDF program. Might help to know what you are using. Been any Windows updates since you last plotted a PDF?

Try using DWG TrueView as Dana has suggested.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what you mean, but there is a button on my toolbar that says "Adobe PDF" and when I click it there's the option to "convert to pdf". That's what I was doing always and now doesn't work. You think may be the problem is with Adobe Acrobat? But I've also tried doing it File>Plot>select printer- "Adobe PDF" etc. and didn't work. I don't know if that helps!

Yes, there have been plenty Windows updates since then.

Ok...I'm gonna try it with Trueview, even though I wanted to avoid a new program, but can you tell me first if there is going to be a problem that I have AutoCAD 2007 instead of 2014? Is it gonna work correctly?

Thanks for your suggestion.Ok...I'm gonna try it with Trueview, even though I wanted to avoid a new program, but can you tell me first if there is going to be a problem that I have AutoCAD 2007 instead of 2014? Is it gonna work correctly?

There will be no conflict between TrueView and Autocad 2007. It even looks like AutoCad when you open it, although it does have the ribbon. The only difference is that you will be able to use the DWG to PDF.pc3 as your plotter. TrueView will default to the layouts you set up in AutoCad. You won't need any adobe pdf creator, only Acrobat reader if you want to look at the pdf file after it is plotted. The Publish Options are a little more expanded, and easier to use. You can even plot a a multi-sheet pdf file using batch plot, if you choose the right selections in your publish options.

You will also bee able to convert other people's newer version drawings to 2007, so you can work with them with your program, although some of the newer, after 2007 features will not work the way they do in the newer versions.

There was no Adobe PDF button available in AutoCAD 2007. It had to have been added "after the fact" meaning AutoCAD was customized. I know because I have a copy running on my home computer for reference purposes. It is an original installation with no add-ons of any kind.

There was no Adobe PDF button available in AutoCAD 2007. It had to have been added "after the fact" meaning AutoCAD was customized. I know because I have a copy running on my home computer for reference purposes. It is an original installation with no add-ons of any kind.

Ok, I don't know how it got there...I didn't do it. It must be the guy who did the format, back then! :P

There will be no conflict between TrueView and Autocad 2007. It even looks like AutoCad when you open it, although it does have the ribbon. The only difference is that you will be able to use the DWG to PDF.pc3 as your plotter. TrueView will default to the layouts you set up in AutoCad. You won't need any adobe pdf creator, only Acrobat reader if you want to look at the pdf file after it is plotted. The Publish Options are a little more expanded, and easier to use. You can even plot a a multi-sheet pdf file using batch plot, if you choose the right selections in your publish options.

You will also bee able to convert other people's newer version drawings to 2007, so you can work with them with your program, although some of the newer, after 2007 features will not work the way they do in the newer versions.

Ok, thanks a lot! I will try that tomorrow, probably, and I'll let you know.

I still can't understand what happened though... :/

I hope Trueview will work!

Go to Services and stop then restart the print spooler then try printing from a PDF, if thats ok then try printing/plotting your dwg to a PDF, Adobe acrobat can play up especially using windows 7...

* I don't have a printer* But I did stop and restart the print spooler service and tried again to "convert to pdf" with AutoCAD and failed again. Should I do something about Acrobat 9 Pro? May be they're not compatible anymore? I don't know, I'm very bad at these :P

I would just use DWG TrueView to plot to PDF and not worry about it.

I still use Acrobat 8 Pro and it works fine with my AutoCAD 2011. Acrobat 9 Pro must be newer, is it the newest? Was there a recent update for Acrobat? Maybe check on some Adobe forums, definitely sounds like it is on Adobe's end.

Ok!! I downloaded Trueview and it works! Thanx a lot!

I had some computer problems these days and sent it to get fixed and my technician said that he wouldn't even try figure out what's wrong, because it is the 2007 version of AutoCAD and wichever windows update, at any time, could cause this problem. Like some of you said "AutoCAD 2007 didn't have the ability to convert to pdf"!

Byeee

"DWG TRUEVIEW" SOLVED MY PROBLEM.

Given that you are using Win7 I expect you would continue to see similar problems in the future so switching to DWG Trueview is your best option.