New to Autocad 2011

Frannym

Hi All,

I am new to Autocad and learning by trial & error....I am trying to reposition desks in autocad 2011, most of the time when I copy the whole object i.e. all 3 layers copies over, sometime it does not....after copying I try to rotate the whole object but the layers are only rotating one @ a time. Really anxious to get this right, new job. never worked with layers before just straightforward singular objects. Would be grateful for any advice you can give me.

Many thanks

Franny

If the objects aren't moving/copying/rotating, then most likely the object are either on a locked layer, or they're not selected. AutoCAD has several selection modes and typically when selecting multiple objects a selection window is used. If you start the selection window and move to the left, the window should be tinted green with a dashed border. This is called a crossing window and any object that is completely within the window, or partially touched by the window will be selected. If you start the selection window and move to the right, the window will be tinted blue with a solid border and only objects that are entirely enclosed by the window will be selected.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

If you are just getting started, as you say, then I would very strongly suggest two things.

First, listen to nestly he is a very good teacher and really knows his stuff. :beer:

Secondly, visit this link quickly before you get too far down the do it yourself road

http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/ this is a very good place to start, especially for those going it alone.

It is the same place I started five years or so ago, good lessons, logically ordered,

it will help you a lot, building your skills in an appropriate sequence.

thank you both for the advice, I can copy and move now, rotating still a bit wonky but I will keep pluggig away. I will probably end up positng somethign here most days until I get the hang of it. Is that ok?

Franny

Hi All,

I am new to Autocad and learning by trial & error....I am trying to reposition desks in autocad 2011, most of the time when I copy the whole object i.e. all 3 layers copies over, sometime it does not....after copying I try to rotate the whole object but the layers are only rotating one @ a time. Really anxious to get this right, new job. never worked with layers before just straightforward singular objects. Would be grateful for any advice you can give me.

Many thanks

Franny

I will probably end up posting something here most days until I get the hang of it. Is that ok?

Ask as often as you want :)