slow autocad high RAM usage

henkie

my company is using acad 2011 lt and 2012 we use drawings with 5 xrefs but the drawings get berry slow, Ive purged,reset scale list, audit, recovered every drawing but still the RAM usage is so high our 8 RAM machines can barely handlviewportse it even more when we have a few viewports

I trued everything I know and could find on the internet, we are looking at other programmes hoping this will solve our problems,it will help probably bet will cost a lot of money.

please help every suggetion is welcome

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

A few observations....

Try working with as few drawings open as possible, and be sure to close them when not needed.

If you're having trouble with drawing size, you might also consider the OVERKILL and WBLOCK Commands.

If you're using 8GB RAM in each workstation, then you're using a 64bit OS (Windows 7?), which is a good thing... RAM is cheap... Now, I work with Civil 3D (an AutoCAD vertical) which is infamously more demanding on resources, but even when we were using our long out-dated workstations, we still had 16GB RAM, and my new workstation is double that.

Not sure how many users you have, but as an example:

Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Kit (2x8GB), for +/- $130

Kingston HyperX Beast 32GB Kit (4x8GB), for +/- $300

Also, be sure to verify that your video card(s) are certified, and have up-to-date drivers installed.

Cheers

More RAM is always great, not all motherboards will accept more RAM though.

Just because a machine is capable of having more than 4 GB of RAM does not mean a 64-bit OS is installed, still could be hampered by 32-bit OS limit.

So, to condense all of this, we need a lot more information on your computer and OS.

Have you tried shutting down all none essential processes and programs accept for AutoCAD? Turn off Anti-Virus? Does IT run anything in the background? Are the drawings on a network or local drive?

P.S. Do you get any messages?

More RAM is always great, not all motherboards will accept more RAM though.

Just because a machine is capable of having more than 4 GB of RAM does not mean a 64-bit OS is installed, still could be hampered by 32-bit OS limit.

FWIW - I did specify in my comment "If you're using 8GB RAM..." and not "If you've installed 8GB RAM..." as 32bit OS will only recognize up to 4GB RAM, regardless of what is installed.

So, to condense all of this, we need a lot more information on your computer and OS.

1+ :beer:

FWIW - I did specify in my comment "If you're using 8GB RAM..." and not "If you've installed 8GB RAM..." as 32bit OS will only recognize up to 4GB RAM, regardless of what is installed.

1+ :beer:

FWIW-I was addressing the OP, not you in particular, about only mentioning they had 8 RAM machines, the OP never addresses actual RAM usage nor any other pertinent information.

It's all good. :thumbsup:

On a side note and off topic, my sister has moved to your area recently, if I ever head up that way I might give you a shout and a cold one.

FWIW-I was addressing the OP, not you in particular, about only mentioning they had 8 RAM machines, the OP never addresses actual RAM usage nor any other pertinent information.

It's all good. :thumbsup:

No worries, my friend... I'm not always as clear as I intend to be, so I followed up more for my own sense of clarity than anything else. :lol:

On a side note and off topic, my sister has moved to your area recently, if I ever head up that way I might give you a shout and a cold one.

Congrats to her, not sure where she's coming from, but this is a beautiful area of Florida :beer:... (email me offline) She move here for work? What specific area?

Cheers

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

A few observations....

Try working with as few drawings open as possible, and be sure to close them when not needed.

If you're having trouble with drawing size, you might also consider the OVERKILL and WBLOCK Commands.

If you're using 8GB RAM in each workstation, then you're using a 64bit OS (Windows 7?), which is a good thing... RAM is cheap... Now, I work with Civil 3D (an AutoCAD vertical) which is infamously more demanding on resources, but even when we were using our long out-dated workstations, we still had 16GB RAM, and my new workstation is double that.

Not sure how many users you have, but as an example:

Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Kit (2x8GB), for +/- $130

Kingston HyperX Beast 32GB Kit (4x8GB), for +/- $300

Also, be sure to verify that your video card(s) are certified, and have up-to-date drivers installed.

Cheers

thanks for the fast reply

we are using windows 7 64 bit on duocore 3,16 ghz with onboard videocard

no big programs running on background and only one drawing opened

tryed procmon to see if acad is looking for missing files but the only thing my computer is doing is empting my RAM on layout switch and then loading everything back in to it (7 gig)

lots of RAM prevents acad running out of memory but processing the large amount takes a lot of time even do my computer isn't that bad

isn't there a way to reduce the amount of RAM usage (apart from 1 lettertype, dimension style, not to much vports, no hatches)

btw loading more tabs in memory will result in out of memory and is not an option in LT

thanks for the fast reply

we are using windows 7 64bit

duocore 3,16 ghz CPU

onbord videocard but only draw 2d..

only 1 drawing running, I see my RAM in the tabs use 6 gig and when switching it empty my memory and starts filling it again taking a lot of time

tryed cmon to see if the system is looking for missing files or old directorys but no sutch thing

all drawings are on seever but placing them local doesn't help (xref make a local copy)

trued shlock already no real result

is there a way to make my RAM loading faster or the drawing use less RAM?

already using as few as possible text fonts, hatches and viewports...

What does it use if you open a new empty drawing and just make a few lines, circles, etc?

Is this only happening in files with xrefs?

Onboard graphics really is worthless in AutoCAD for much more than just basic 2d.

What is the usage with no drawing or even AutoCAD shutdown?

You might look into turning off SuperFetch in Windows.