Line weights

Hello,

I havent been using AutoCAD in a little while and trying to figure something out. I have someone else's drawing that is 24x36 layout. I made a layer for a match line and all looked good at this layout. I went to page setup and created new layout at half size 12x18. When I opened it I cut the scale in half and everything was good except for my line. I changed the layer but it changes the layer in the other layout too. Is there a way to keep different layouts with different scales and layers are different if that makes any sense?

I would say that this is a normal behavior; adjusting properties of a layer will reflect in all layouts, so starting a new drawing will not be of help.

However, on newest releases of AutoCAD, you are allowed to override some layer properties (including lineweight) by layout; just call LAYER command while in a layout and check the VP Lineweight column - adjust it to suit your needs and switch to next layout. For sure, your entities must have their lineweight assigned as ByLayer.