Basic question dimension

Sengna

i am Still learning how to use inventor here, what is the rule of thumb for where to give dims to locate the geometry in sketch world In inventor? I know that when i have a circle in sketch, i will need to give the Dia, how far from Y coordinate and how far from Y coordinate is that correct?

note; i don't want the center of the circle to co incident with the origin point. Which 2 dims left to do?

2_circles.jpg

Edited by Sengna

What version of Inventor are you using? (2014 example attached)

You have defined the size of the circles.

You have defined the horizontal position of the circles.

You HAVE NOT defined the vertical position of the circles.

Basic Question.ipt

Tip: When Inventor reports that a dimension is still needed - try dragging a point (center of circle/arc or endpoint of line) - that will visually indicate to you what is missing. This might be the most important tip in all of Inventor.

Basic Dimensioning.PNG

There are a couple of other "tricks" I would use.

Horizontal Construction line with midpoint coincident constraint to the origin.

Equal (=) constraint for the size of the circles.

2 * dimension to center circles.

I am using Inventor 2010 at work.

as my previose example i didn't specified the vertical position of the 2 circles because thier center are in line on the x coordinate. i can't give the dim from how far of center circle to x coordinate. i could tell how far from the Y coorditnate. now i did use the horizaltal line as construction line and use equal constraint and now it's fully constrained. I did not have 2ul like you had though, what is "ul"? my show fx.

equal constraint.jpg

ul stands for unitless

Inventor automatically added that when I multiplied 38mm x 2 as otherwise 38mm x 2mm would not make sense for a linear dimension (76mm^2)

...i can't give the dim from how far of center circle to x coordinate.

You can't leave it hanging - you must add the construction lines you did, or add Horizontal Constraints between the centers of the circles and the origin to force their positions to remain horizontal.

You can't leave it hanging - you must add the construction lines you did, or add Horizontal Constraints between the centers of the circles and the origin to force their positions to remain horizontal.

i tried to either snap the end of the line and dragged to each center of circle or extend tool but they don't work, how would you do it? i guessed knowing Autocad really messed me up when learning inventor lol.

What version of Inventor are you using? (2014 example attached)

You have defined the size of the circles.

You have defined the horizontal position of the circles.

You HAVE NOT defined the vertical position of the circles.

[ATTACH]48101[/ATTACH]

Tip: When Inventor reports that a dimension is still needed - try dragging a point (center of circle/arc or endpoint of line) - that will visually indicate to you what is missing. This might be the most important tip in all of Inventor.

[ATTACH]48102[/ATTACH]

There are a couple of other "tricks" I would use.

Horizontal Construction line with midpoint coincident constraint to the origin.

Equal (=) constraint for the size of the circles.

2 * dimension to center circles.

Is it wrong if i co incident center of one circle with the origin point for this drawing? why?