Excel Datalinks and AutoCAD

BrentonJohn316

I will try to explain my current process and what I would like to do to increase productivity and minimize errors.

In my operations, I manually type information into Excel to record device addresses (visual addresses and audio addresses - See attached Excel file). These correspond to the devices that are laid out on a floor plan I design.

Once the excel document is finished and all devices are accounted for, I then proceed and create a "riser" that shows how everything connects.

CURRENTLY I am typing the same information 4 times of the same information (twice in excel and twice in AutoCAD). I would like to take the steps in AutoCAD down to one.

In reference to my pdf document, is it possible to allow a standard function in AutoCAD to find the cells ("A") to autofill into AutoCAD text (B"" and "C")

Hope this is enough to get somewhat of an answer. Please let me know. ;)

NEW PROJECT table.xlsx

NEW PROJECT.dwg

page-0.jpg

If you just want a table got with ReMark

I think there has been 3 posts this week alone about linking Autocad & Excel, with the method of reading individual cells to do something. A couple of good starts Getexcel.lsp and www.lee.mac.com

Have a search for excel here you will be amazed at how many posts I know I searched it the other day looking for an example .

I know how to create Datalinks. I use them for nearly every drawing. What I am ultimately trying to do is create an Attribute, that has the value of a cell I specify in the Datalink.

Brentonjohn if you read my post again as I said yes you can do it. There is lots of examples out there you can do either a block with attributes or a table, the table may be easier as it is more like the look of excel. If you do a block you will need a extra column in excel that has a unique key so you can cross match it can be say a "Item No" or use the Autocad Handle, index name of the object. Struggled to hold your hand via the pc whilst typing search for excel.

Can anyone please give me the attribute definitions for setting up the link between the attribute and the excel file? How does this link when the datalink is not in the block but just a typical datalink in model space?

I think the definitions need to be Object > Formulas > Cell > (Datalink Cell)

But how would this work if the datalink is not in the block