Layer name & properties pull down menu

Does anyone know of a way that I can set up a layer pull down menu that reflects the layers contained in my standards (dws) or Template (dwt) file?

By this I mean that it would be a pull down menu which would contain the names of all the layers as contained in either the dws or dwt file and once selected whatever object I drew would bring the selected layer into the drawing?

I'm not sure I see what your specific issue is, but......

Open the custom dws or dwt file, save as New Drawing.dwg. Layers are already there. An object doesn't know what layer it is on until it's drawn, unless it is already in another drawing and copy/pasted. It will then bring the layers with it.

What I am understanding is that when you start a new drawing you want the layers you need to be there from the start so you don't have to create them every time. Right!

If you have a Title Block set up already that you insert at start of drawing, add layer to the Title Block drawing and when you start a new drawing insert the title block first so that all your basic layers will come in with it.

Are you opening some one elses dwg so layers are missing then a simple script will work

-la n layer1 C 1 LT Continuous

-la n layer2 C 2 LT Continuous

-la n layer3 C 3 LT Continuous

It sounds like you want layers that are not actually in the drawing to be available for new objects. That is not possible the way you describe it. In order for a layer to be assigned to new objects, it has to be present in the drawing. There are, however, a number of ways to get layers into a drawing.

sorry been on hols..

Yep understand how to have all the layers in a drawing that I want through the use of a dwt or dws file but was thinking it would be cool if I could have apull down menu containing a number of standard layers that aren't in the drawing but have specific properties set. I don't want them in the drawing because I don't want a cluttered layer list in my layer states manager box..

SLW210 - yep that's how I do it at the moment is through the use of a tool palette - was hoping someone could give me another option..

All good thanks for the help..

was hoping someone could give me another option..

BIGAL gave you another. If it's the same layers all the time, it would be quick an easy to set up a script or even a macro that could be assigned to a button. If you have different needs at different times, several would need to be set-up.

How about Design Center? You could have one (or several) drawings set up with all (or subsets) of the layers you may need. The you could cherry pick the layers you would like in your drawing.