Batch plotting PDF Autocad 2014! HELP!

tmelancon

I am working with Autocad 2014 and am trying to batch PDF using the BATCHPLOT utility built in to autocad. The problem I have is for some odd reason it is trimming off the right margin. It does not let me define how I want to window or anything to be plotted and I need to plot over 600 dwg to pdf.

I used a page setup one time but had to hit ENTER all morning! Please help and chime in! God bless!

Hi tmelancon,

Not sure how to help you specifically with the BATCHPLOT utility in AutoCAD.

However, you can try a utility like Hurricane (http://www.74mph.com), that is a bit more flexible, and that will let you run a script file and control all responses to the prompts of the -PLOT command. (Avoiding "pagesetups" altogether)

(You can even make the responses "dynamic" based on your filename etc...). (You can specify to plot a "window", then specify coordinates if you like), I generally just plot to "Extents".

Here is the script I use... but you will have to modify it to suit your particular PDF printer drivers "name", and the paper size "description". You'll also need a subdirectory created called /PDF/ in your drawings directory, where it will write the PDF's out to... (See the 5th last line of the script ("$FILEPATH$PDF\$FILENAME$.pdf"), will substitute the current files path, then \PDF\ then the current filename. (Those are the "dynamic tags" that are built into Hurricane).

If you need any help with this, just give me a shout.

Bill

;BEGIN SCRIPT
;Command: -plot
-PLOT
;Detailed plot configuration? [Yes/No] <No>: y
Y
;Enter a layout name or [?] <Model>:
Model
;Enter an output device name or [?] <DWG To PDF.pc3>:
DWG To PDF.pc3
;Enter paper size or [?] <Letter>: Letter
ANSI expand A (8.50 x 11.00 Inches)
;Enter paper units [inches/Millimeters] <Inches>:
I
;Enter drawing orientation [Portrait/Landscape] <Landscape>:
L
;Plot upside down? [Yes/No] <No>:
N
;Enter plot area [Display/Extents/Limits/View/Window] <Window>: e
E
;Enter plot scale (Plotted Inches=Drawing Units) or [Fit] <Fit>:
F
;Enter plot offset (x,y) or [Center] <Center>:
C
;Plot with plot styles? [Yes/No] <Yes>:
y
;Enter plot style table name or [?] (enter . for none) <monochrome.ctb>:
monochrome.ctb
;Plot with lineweights? [Yes/No] <Yes>:
Y
;<As displayed>:
A
;Filename:
"$FILEPATH$PDF\$FILENAME$.pdf"
;Save changes to page setup [Yes/No]? <N>
N
;Proceed with plot [Yes/No] <Y>:
Y
;END SCRIPT

One of the reason I gave up on batch plotting was problems like your having we had to turn a sequence of dwgs upside down to get them to plot correct so when printed was ring binder ready, gave up an did manually.

Any way here is a plot all layouts to pdf using layout name and saves in location of dwg. Just change the window sizing to suit your title block

plotpdf.zip

600 sheets is a lot! Do you use/have you used sheet sets? They are a great way to put together multiple files and layouts. They make plotting a whole set of lager (and small) drawing sets really easy. Just highlight the pages you want to publish (click the first page, hold shift, then scroll to the bottom and click the last page, right click,click publish, then DWG to PDF is an option. Wait a couple of minutes and the file will appear wherever you saved it. Hope that helps.

To set up a sheet set is rather easy also. Use ctrl+4, then click where it says open and click new sheet set. Run through the wizard.

Great suggestion BillK, just wondering... Does Hurricane work with LISP routines as well as scripts? That could turn out to be very handy.

Great suggestion BillK, just wondering... Does Hurricane work with LISP routines as well as scripts? That could turn out to be very handy.

Hi lamensterms,

Yes, it does work with Lisp and VBA. (It has a few "Wizards" built-in, like a "Title Block" updater, and a "search and replace" routine, all batchable, to name a few.

It's as simple as adding the following lines of code to your script... the first to load the lisp, the second to call the lisp. (*you can specify ANY lisp or VBA routine to load and run, so long as the lisp doesn't invoke dialog boxes. (The many lisp examples included use command prompt responses).

Lisp Example:

(LOAD "C:/PROGRAM FILES (X86)/HURRICANE701/LISP/DELBLK.LSP")
DELBLK

VBA code, and load/run example(s) are in the forum if you need them.

Of course, if you need any help, just let me know. :)

Bill