Old Cad to 2014 Artifacts

gsksun4

Updating to 2014LT on the job. I don't have yet, but someone else here does. Lots of old cad files (R14, 2002LT, etc.) When we bring up the old file in 2014LT, there are objects showing that don't show in the original old file/release. The guy with 2014LT calls them artifacts? Not sure why, except the jump in the release perhaps.

The file must be too old of a release to upload here as I just tried and it failed.

When he does a save and reopens the file in 2014LT again, the objects are gone.

Has anyone here had this issue and an answer to resolve?

I still have 2009LT and haven't had the issue.

Glenn

Edited by gsksun4

You should be able to upload and attach DWG files no matter how old they are. The only limitation is file size.

We just set one of our electricians up with LT 2014.

I'm the "other guy who has already updated". Here's the image gsksun4 is referring to. I have since saved the drawing and the dots went away. These nodes are not selectable and are un-snappable.

mdUZBmV.png

You should be able to upload and attach DWG files no matter how old they are. The only limitation is file size.

Greetings ReMark,

The file is 2MB. I've had probs before with that. nbcl14 put the image up.

Autocad Points, use DDptype maybe if you set the points to something they will appear they may be resetting after the initial load but may still be there, I think picking point set to blank will not work, often I set to simple dot so can pick using a window. We want them but not displayed use for Z value info road works.

Funny the dots mimic some of the geometry. Could that hint at the cause?

Yes, they mimic the above breakout tubing exactly. Another file had an unwanted hatch pattern (solid) near a correctly placed hatch pattern (solid). In this case, the unwanted hatch was a different shape, but a bit similar for what we use them for. Strain relief on cables.

I thought it might have something to do with 2014LT loading the old file completely, not placing the dots where the lines are, but the other file with the unwanted hatch does not follow that thought, being a different shape than the correct hatch.

Autocad Points, use DDptype maybe if you set the points to something they will appear they may be resetting after the initial load but may still be there, I think picking point set to blank will not work, often I set to simple dot so can pick using a window. We want them but not displayed use for Z value info road works.

Thanks for the reply BIGAL,

I suggested DDPTYPE, but he didn't see anything that would help.

Is this showing through a viewport in PaperSpace or is it all in ModelSpace?

Is there a title block in this drawing that was created in an earlier version of AutoCAD?

Is this showing through a viewport in PaperSpace or is it all in ModelSpace?

Is there a title block in this drawing that was created in an earlier version of AutoCAD?

The entire drawing is in model space and yes, there is title block with border in model space also. The drawing was most likely created in AutoCAD R14.

Try exploding the title block or removing it.

The title block is in model space, with the rest of the drawing. If inserted as a block, yes we can and will try exploding it or deleting.

Mostly, we open existing files that are similar and "save as" the new file and adjust accordingly.

My co-worker with 2014LT is out till tomorrow, 4/23. I will advise and report back.

Thank you SLW210.

Glenn

Edited by gsksun4

Update: The gent with 2014LT is busy with travel, but informed me that this so far is only an issue when he's copied and pasted something into the drawing. He hasn't tried inserting a block yet.

When he opens the drawing, the title block in model space is fine. These unwanted objects appear so far with the copy/paste.

When I get the 2014LT, I'll try this out and report back, but for now, I appreciate the input.

Glenn