Superhatch boundary showing when hatch layer is off 2014

macs

there is what appears to be a plyline boundary surrounding my hatches.

with a standard hatch this is editable and can be useful in some circumstances.

this is a new feature to me since my upgrade to 2014 from an earlier version.

however i have had this to plot thru when unwanted, in some cases but not lately ?

__

this is my real question.... i have a similar "polyline" boundary showing up with my super hatches. ?? it is not editable, and i see no use for it.

it not editable but it gets in the way while editing other elements. it remains on when the hatch layer is turned of. if i select it properties shows it as block reference.

why does this appear ?

how do i turn it off ?

also i have these empty polyline appearing block entities showing in older drawings when opened in the 2014 version. when i select them they show as block refs with names of my superhatch blocks.

by deleting them i am able to delete some junk layers that would not delete before, but it is tedious because the same ones show up in almost all of my older drawings.

i dont really know how to descibe it, so was not able to search to find answer.

thanks, (probably a simple sys variable)

windows 8.1

64 bit

acad 2014

Check the value of IMAGEFRAME and/or FRAME.

FRAME

See Also

Hide and Show Underlay Frames

Type: Integer

Saved in: Drawing

Initial value: 3

Turns the display of frames on and off for all external references, images, and DWF, DWFx, PDF, and DGN underlays.

The FRAME setting overrides the individual IMAGEFRAME, DWFFRAME, PDFFRAME, DGNFRAME, and XCLIPFRAME settings.

0 The frame is not visible and it is not plotted

1 Displays the frame and allows it to be plotted

2 Displays the frame but keeps it from being plotted

3 The individual setting varies for all underlays in the current drawing

(external references, images, and DWF, DWFx, PDF, and DGN underlays all

have different frame settings).

NoteThis value is used internally by AutoCAD.

IMAGEFRAME

See Also

Show and Hide Raster Image Boundaries

Type: Integer

Saved in: Drawing

Initial value: 1

Controls whether image frames are displayed and plotted.

The FRAME system variable overrides the IMAGEFRAME setting. Use the IMAGEFRAME system variable after the FRAME system variable to reset the IMAGE frame settings.

NoteNormally, when image frames are not displayed, you cannot select images. However, the IMAGECLIP command temporarily turns image frames on.

0 The image frames are not visible and they are not plotted

1 The image frames are displayed and plotted

2 The image frames are displayed but not plotted

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the response.

i tried your suggestion, but that is not my issue.

my problem has to do with hatching only, not images or other refs.

i can see a visible boundary of the hatch, even when the hatch layer is turned off.

the boundary is selectable, and makes it difficult to select the underlying geometry for editing

this never happened in earlier versions of acad. the geometry(lines) were the hatch boundary.

-now it is as if the boundary itself is a separate entity, on top of the lines, and it has its own color but does not respond to layer control

Check the value of IMAGEFRAME and/or FRAME.

What type of object are you using to create the SUPERHATCH? The FRAME command will turn those boundaries off (as well as all the others).

If you are using a block the XCLIPFRAME variable should be set to 0 and you won't see the frame.

What type of object are you using to create the SUPERHATCH? The FRAME command will turn those boundaries off (as well as all the others).

If you are using a block the XCLIPFRAME variable should be set to 0 and you won't see the frame.

i am using blocks for custom brick, shingle hatch.. etc

and yes xclipframe = 0 worked for me.

i never knew that, thank you much

mac

(solved)

one further question..

i have these superhatch boundaries that are legacy accumulated over years of copy and paste and using previous drawings as template for new project.

probably not best practice, but it has helped me to clean up some extra layers that would not delete, by learning of the xclipframe variable.

my question is why do i have these mystery supehatch frames, but they contain no hatch.

they are in shapes that i recognize as brick or siding areas etc but they are just the outlines.. i'm sure they were meant to have been deleted

again, they weren't visible until i discovered the xclipframe variable.

i wonder why they kept lingering around ? and how did they come to be ?

like ghosts ..

The XCLIP frame is a completely separate drawing entity from the "hatch".

When working with blocks using the SUPERHATCH command the command essentially duplicates the blocks in the pattern, uses an XCLIP on each block around the edges of the hatch, then groups everything together. The frame is a completely separate drawing entity from the blocks themselves.

They have likely always been there but they were turned on inadvertently using the FRAME command (controls the display properties of all frame type entities).

Just so you can see the idea of how it is built, ungroup the superhatch and you'll see there are numerous occurrences of the same block and each object along the boundary is separately clipped with the XCLIP command.

i had known that the superhatch was a tiling of the block, having created a few myself and had to tweak for tile-abilty. and i have exploded them to modify, or use otherwise.

but i never knew anything about the xclip frame. for years i have had junk layer accumulating that would not delete, and now i know why.

thank you for the enlightenment.

i'm still not sure why i would have the empty frames lurking around, that don't contain any hatch.

could it be because i exploded a superhatch, and deleted the contents, but couldn't see the frame because it was turned off..? and thus was unable to delete the frame..

i think i understand now.

__________edit_________________

still confused:

i exploded a superhatch, and was left with several unclipped unframed exploded blocks, but there was no frame.

i tried ungroup (which i have never used before) and was able to delete the blocks within the frame, and was left with an empty frame, like the ones that i mentioned above.

(i was then able to delete the frame)

but since i have never done that before (ungroup), how did i get the mystery frames that were my original question/problem ?

i don't know how i got all these empty frames in my drawings.

Edited by macs
new info

• 1 month later...

i had to set FRAMESELECTION to 0 in order to select / edit the original line (geometry) that i could not reach, because superhatch frame was obscuring / interfering with the original. (even though frame was not visible under previous setting (above))

thanks again, things are somewhat back to 'normal'

i am using blocks for custom brick, shingle hatch.. etc

and yes xclipframe = 0 worked for me.

i never knew that, thank you much

mac

(solved)

FRAMESELECTION to 0 does not seem to work in my current dwg.

(i still have a frame which prevents me from selecting the underlying geometry (i can only select the block ref (supehatch )))

there must be some combination of frame settings to get back to my accustomed scenario.

still working on it.