See in which file a dwg is inserted as xref?

Lineke

Hello,

Is it possible to see in which files a dwg is inserted in as an xref? In a project I'm working om, there is a lot of 'junk-dwg's'. I must clean up the project-folder, but ofcourse, I don't want to mess up the drawings with xrefs in it that are used. So, if i can see which dwg's are used as xref, I can clean up a lot of unneccesary dwg's in the xref-folder.

Thanks!

Thanks for your answer, but the Reference Manager doesn't work like I need to. I want to 'look up', to see in which other dwg's a dwg is inserted as xref. For all I know, the Reference Manager works 'downwards', so it gives you a list of all the xrefs in a drawing.

Is there any way to 'look upwards' ?

You can figure that out using the DESIGN CENTER, I believe rkent posted about doing this a couple months ago, very helpful tip. :beer:

I haven't had occasion to need to do it, but as I recall it involved using the SEARCH function in the DESIGN CENTER to search through entire folders.

How many files are we talking about? Is this something you will need to do on a regular basis? If so, why? Do you have a lot of people with access to the XREF folder?

File/directory organization/maintenance is necessary for many reasons. If this is just a one time thing then I would suggest you just go through all the XREFing files. You are going to have to do it anyway to verify that any tool that you try worked as expected.

Instead of trying to cleanup the XREF folder, rename it and create a new one. Open XREF manager in first drawing, then move all the drawings on that list to the new XREF folder, and reload. Save and close. Open XREF manager in next drawing and move all missing XREFs to the XREF folder. Do the same for all the other drawings.

I think, in total we 're talking about 150 files. This project was divided into 2 different projects: the preliminary design and the final design. Someone has copied all the files from the preliminary design into the folder of the final design without giving it further thoughts of the concequences. And people have worked in both folders since, real chaos. :ouch:

Fortunately it is not the normal way of working here, so I hope it is only one time necessary to clean up everything.

However, the search funtion in the Design Center works for me, so thanks all for helping me.