Problem with a submarine

levimfa

I achieved to make the submarine's body. I used the loft>guides command to obtain the chamfered effect on the top and in the bottom. But now I'm having problems with the submarine's nose. How to unite it to the the body? Any idea?

NOSE.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• levimfa

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• MSasu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would not union the nose to the body of the sub just yet otherwise you will be disappointed in the result once you view it using 3DOrbit. In other words...your model needs some additional work.

Look at the nose of my sub-like model in post number 10 to see what I mean.

I would not union the nose to the body of the sub just yet otherwise you will be disappointed in the result once you view it using 3DOrbit. In other words...your model needs some additional work.

Look at the nose of my sub-like model in post number 10 to see what I mean.

Yeah, I tried your model, but I can't do it. I don't know how to make the nose.

The use of loft command is a good idea?

The nose was created by revolving a lengthwise profile. The rear of your nose has to match up with the end of the body of the sub which yours does not.

Subnose2.jpg

This is how I achieved the end result pictured in my previous post from the nose at the far right to the nose/body with bevel on the far left. The nose was just a revolved profile.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48250[/ATTACH]

This is how I achieved the end result pictured in my previous post from the nose at the far right to the nose/body with bevel on the far left. The nose was just a revolved profile.

Sorry for keep you waiting for a long time.

As I mentioned on this post, I am a beginner. I am learning while I'm reading this. So, Can you explain me where I have to go to obtain the step where the green plan appears? How can I do it?

Thank you very much for your support.

That "plane" is just a line that has been extruded and used as the cutting "surface" in the SLICE command.

Thank's a lot, ReMark!! I achieved! :)

won.jpg

And for the submarine's back side? I think that I can use the slice command again, but how the planar object should come in this case? There's a decline, and the edges must find the base of the chamfered plane on the top and the bottom of the sub. I'm trying to do this in a circular surface, like I made on the body. Is the correct way? Could you explain me, please?

Thank's a lot, ReMark!! I achieved! :)

And for the submarine's back side? I think that I can use the slice command again, but how the planar object should come in this case? There's a decline, and the edges must find the base of the chamfered plane on the top and the bottom of the sub. I'm trying to do this in a circular surface, like I made on the body. Is the correct way? Could you explain me, please?

I think the stern of the sub might be better constructed using the Loft command.

Substern.PNG

Once again this is only for demonstration purposes only as I have no idea what any of the dimensions are. How are you coming up with the dimensions you are using?

To the left are the two polyline profiles I started with. The red lines are just part of my construction geometry (ignore them).

To the right is the result I got by using the Loft command. The bottom of the object has the same taper as the top.

By the way, are you sure you have the right design for the Typhoon-class submarine? Wasn't that a Russian submarine?

Edited by ReMark

Have you made any further progress?

Hey Remark!

I had to stop the work for the exams. I plan back to it tomorrow, and I will post my steps here.

Answering your last questions...the dimensions haven't been clearly defined yet. I am searching for projects in internet to get real references (Haven't you got something like this to help me?). So I used what I could find by now. Like this picture:

Kurskvstoledo.jpg

About the Typhoon name..well, I obtained this picture on the internet to train my modeling skills, and in the description, it was called of Typhoon submarine. But I don't have preferences for the class, I just chose start with a easy model. I'll try other types of vessels too.

The trouble with the submarine is the fact you do not have a fully dimensioned diagram to work off it. All you have are a handful of overall dimensions so the end result may not look correct. Since you are new to 3D I would have suggested starting off with some basic 3D models and as your skills increased transition to more complex models. That's how it is normally done in a structured class.

• 1 month later...
Hey Remark!

I had to stop the work for the exams. I plan back to it tomorrow, and I will post my steps here.

Answering your last questions...the dimensions haven't been clearly defined yet. I am searching for projects in internet to get real references (Haven't you got something like this to help me?). So I used what I could find by now. Like this picture:

[ATTACH]48356[/ATTACH]

About the Typhoon name..well, I obtained this picture on the internet to train my modeling skills, and in the description, it was called of Typhoon submarine. But I don't have preferences for the class, I just chose start with a easy model. I'll try other types of vessels too.

perhaps buy an Airfix/Revell plastic model kit & a measuring caliper.....

subs are usually about £10. cheap plastic calipers, a fiver.