How to extrude at an angle

mutski

Hi all

Sorry if this is a repost, I posted this question yesterday, but it seems to have disappeared.

I'm trying to extrude at an angle, but I only seem to be able to get it to work at 90 degrees to the surface I'm working on. Google doesn't seem to be able to help me (or I'm typing in the wrong keywords). I've taken a screen capture of what I'm trying to do. The green is the current part I'm editing. I want the long green flange at the bottom to line up with the grey transparent part. At a rough guess it's about 20 degrees, but I can't find any options to get the extrusion at anything other than 90. Any ideas? Using Solidworks 2010. - Cheers Matt

Side.jpg

For some reason it won't let me upload files here. Keeps saying it's uploading, then after about a minute it says failed.

http://www.pwcau.com/SW/Multicharger.zip I've uploaded the file here. You will see there is a part called Charger Rear, Bottom Housing, and Charger Front. Basically we are taking an existing product which is a charger module, and turning it into a 6 way charger. We want to use the existing front and back, and then insert a new piece (bottom housing) which will extend it. I'm having trouble getting an extrusion to line up with the angle on the rear and front housings. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers - Matt

If you change your UCS to the required angle then extrude it will end up on an angle the other alternative is use rotate3d and just rotate object to correct angle. Again you may need to set ucs to correct direction for rotation

boredhole.jpg

The UCS response is for another CAD program, not SolidWorks.

Since you are using a very very old version of SolidWorks I did not pursue the solution since you would not be able to open my file.

You're best bet is likely to use the sweep command. Create a construction line from a corner of the profile you are trying to extrude and sweep the profile along this path.

I am doing this solely from memory, I haven't touched Inventor or Solidworks on over 5 months now.

I'm more interested in learning how to do it myself rather than just having you do it. Anyway thanks for your help.

Matt

I would go about it in a completely different way. Unfortunately the easiest way to communicate the solution would be from the part Feature Tree, but I am not even sure the techniques I would use in r2013 were available back then.