Copying drawing

Frannym

Hi All,

Trying to copy a section of a drawing intoa new drawing. I can copy via the clipboard & copy selection and I can see the drawing appear but when I click on the new drawing and try to paste it nothing happens. I have tried the cp command etc but nothing happens. I have read through the past posts related to this but still cannot get this drawing to copy over...any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Franny

Any chance the old drawing might have been created and/or revised using AutoCAD 2007?

Here's another option. WBlock out the portion of the old drawing you need, saving it under a different name, then insert it into the new drawing.

With the drawings open side-by-side select the geometry you want to copy and the click and hold on one of the lines.

Drag to the new drawing.

Attach your file here if you can't figure it out.

Well as long as we're throwing out all the possibilities....perhaps the pasted objects ended up on a layer that was turned off or frozen.

Try copy with base point then paste. It seems to work well where the simple copy/paste operation fails, like when the drawings are open in two different instances of AutoCad. I have even had copy/paste fail from one drawing to another in the same AutoCad window.

As others have said though, it is likely that the pasted object ended up either at 0,0 or way out Northwest of Jupiter.

Well as long as we're throwing out all the possibilities....perhaps the pasted objects ended up on a layer that was turned off or frozen.

This would be my guess as well. After pasting thaw and turn on all layers, zoom extents.

OMG copy and paste plaaaaese. This is autocad you copy and paste text not objects. How bout XREF? Type xref in the command line, then select attach. The rest of the procedure works just like the insert command. Just follow the prompts find your drawing and you have what you need. Create a layer for the old drawing if you want then you can turn it on and off if you want.

Never heard that one either Ski

Why would I xref a simple object into a drawing? Say like a symbol for a Fire Hydrant or pipe line etc.

I can still turn it off and on using layers.

Many users rely on Copy/Paste to bring non-text objects from one drawing to another.

Ok I can see that. But the OP wants to copy and paste part of a existing drawing which is way bigger that an object that may contain 3 or 4 layers and a little geometry. I just think xref the drawing in would be way easier.

I still don't see a problem. The clipboard can hold a lot of data. I can't advise whether or not an xref would be a better choice without see the two drawings first. You have a crystal ball? LoL