Need advice on software upgrade

Dipali

I have been using auto ad 2009, full version for a long time.

Now I want to upgrade it, but was thinking something. More then plain autocad.

What do u people advice mainly for architectural and interior work?

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture and ArchiCAD are all viable options. You can actually get both Revit, Vanilla AutoCAD and AutoCAD Architecture in one suite package, the AutoDesk design suite premium I believe.

• 2 months later...

So looks like I am going for the design suit premium. Only thing is I was thinking about 1 licence of it and I have 3 acadlt 2013 for my staff which I was planning to upgrade to revit LT due to price considerations. But today o he a visit from dealer and autodesk representative, and they explained to me theatre revit LT is launched only for us market now and it is not an option available in India. So I have to go for revit full and difference between revit full and design suit is significantly less compare to the additional softwares available. So I have to go for 4 design suit and the total amount is very high as now they have added the mandatory subscription cost as well. So have to rethink about the upgrade.

Get one Premium Suite on a network license, and keep the rest on LT. That way anybody can use the Premium Suite applications, just one at a time. That's one possibility anyways.

That is what I was thinking, but as mentioned auto desk has launched revit LT only for USA market. It is not yet available in India

Now I have got the quotations. And they are saying that I can get it without subscription but i will have problem in future. Because all peramatric software like revit or 3d max, do not have facility to save back to older version. Which we had in autocad. And I can not upgrade my product if I am not under subscription so I will have to pay for full when I need newer version in future. So if my clients are in newer version and they do changes and send it back to me I can not open that file in lower version.

Can any of you confirm this?

Now I have got the quotations. And they are saying that I can get it without subscription but i will have problem in future. Because all peramatric software like revit or 3d max, do not have facility to save back to older version. Which we had in autocad. And I can not upgrade my product if I am not under subscription so I will have to pay for full when I need newer version in future. So if my clients are in newer version and they do changes and send it back to me I can not open that file in lower version.

Can any of you confirm this?

I know Revit doesn't downgrade a file; if 2014 Revit updates a 2013 Revit file (2013 --> 2014) then it CANNOT be downgraded back to 2013 ever again.

Hey Tiger,

Don't get me wrong, but after you moved my thread, it got lost. Probably because the software and licensing forum is under general auto cad forum and my discussion was mainly around revit or may be people are not visiting this forum often.

I think I had a better chance in chat section of getting more views or may be in one of the revit forum. What do u think?

Edited by Dipali

• 2 weeks later...

i have ordered to upgrade 2 licenses to building design suit premium. so i will post back my feedback when i get them and start using.

also on side note, my new laptop has arrived and my husband(IT person) is formating it for me. it is a surprise and one of the best model availble here, so i will post the detail when it comes into my hand.