Annoying problem when exporting

Buzza

Does this happen for anyone else?

In paperspace I have a viewbase of my model, sometimes I have bits that I like to see when editing but don't want them to be exported to PDF so I use the hide command on those objects. However, when exporting it unhides everything and does the export then hides it again!

Can I stop this? Is there a workaround I could use that is quick!?

I suppose I could delete the objects, export, then undo a few steps.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what the hide command is, but maybe a wipeout (WIPEOUT Command) would work better for you? A wipeout is like whiteout for cad drawing, you can use the draw order to set it in front of some objects and on top of others.

Wipeout.jpg

Here is an example.

I might have a look into that next week thanks. I haven't managed to replicate it again this afternoon but it has definately happened to me before on numerous occasions.

Does the wipeout work for 3D objects using viewbase?

Not sure, I just learned of this command myself past week or so haha! But I've already used it in a few applications, that vent, door, window, and my personal favorite railings!! No more trimming through the windows and doors! Its really easy, just type wipeout, or hit the button, then draw a polyline around what you want covered. Thats it. You can hide the frames if you want. Do wipeout, then f for frames, and off to turn off. Same to turn them on except on. Hope it helps!

Make use of the F1 key for both the Hide command and Wipeout. There is not enough space here to explain the MANY ways to correctly hide or show different objects and/or lines in AutoCad.

Avoid using Wipeout, period. I am not saying the occasion will never come up, but try anyway. Especially in 3D modelspace, where a wipeout will become an object all of itself, and since it has a visible frame, it will show, and print. Sure, you will think you have the wipeout frame hidden by something, and everything is the way you want it, and then you rotate or pan your 3D view just a little bit, and there it is again.

Wipeout is nothing more than hanging a bedsheet between two houses on a clothes line. You cannot stop the back corner of a cube from showing through the front sides of the cube with a wipeout.

You will find that the hide command is only for viewing. The Hide state is not transferred to the printed output.

You need to change your 3D View in order to get the lines behind stuff (hidden) to not print. Wireframe is the view where you see ALL the lines ALL the time.

Look at the differences between the 3D conceptual, 3D realistic and 3D wireframe views.

Does this happen for anyone else?

In paperspace I have a viewbase of my model, sometimes I have bits that I like to see when editing but don't want them to be exported to PDF so I use the hide command on those objects. However, when exporting it unhides everything and does the export then hides it again!

Can I stop this? Is there a workaround I could use that is quick!?

I suppose I could delete the objects, export, then undo a few steps.

Thanks.

How about putting those objects on layers that are set to NOT PRINT? In the layer manager dialog you click the little printer icon to turn off printing. You will see a little international stop sign appear over the icon. This can be toggled on or off each time it is clicked.

Just create one or more layers with the same layer names you use now, ony include EDIT ONLY or MODEL ONLY as part of the layer name simply for future info.

How about putting those objects on layers that are set to NOT PRINT? In the layer manager dialog you click the little printer icon to turn off printing. You will see a little international stop sign appear over the icon. This can be toggled on or off each time it is clicked.

Just create one or more layers with the same layer names you use now, ony include EDIT ONLY or MODEL ONLY as part of the layer name simply for future info.

Thanks Dana, I should of thought of putting them on a hidden layer. It's really weird though because sometime it unhides everything and sometimes it's ok.

I have tried using wipeout in the past, it's worked ok some times but not others.

Thanks Dana, I should of thought of putting them on a hidden layer. It's really weird though because sometime it unhides everything and sometimes it's ok.

I have tried using wipeout in the past, it's worked ok some times but not others.

Yeah, Hide and Wipeout both seem unstable.

If you're only trying to "hide" the objects for plotting, there's no need to make them actually hide with the layer being turned off or frozen as long as the plot icon is turned off in layer properties.

Yeah, Hide and Wipeout both seem unstable.

If you're only trying to "hide" the objects for plotting, there's no need to make them actually hide with the layer being turned off or frozen as long as the plot icon is turned off in layer properties.

Unfortunately it has not worked. I make a viewbase of my objects in paper space, so of which are on a "no plot" layer. When I export to PDF they are visible in the file. It does not plot in a VP however as you'd expect. I'll just have to keep using the temperamental hide command...

Unfortunately it has not worked. I make a viewbase of my objects in paper space, so of which are on a "no plot" layer. When I export to PDF they are visible in the file. It does not plot in a VP however as you'd expect. I'll just have to keep using the temperamental hide command...
Doesn't viewbase allow setting layer properties per the current view only, like a viewport does? I never use viewbase. Actually I don't even know what it is.