Question about 2014 Inventor Free Student Download?

Emboss 2014

Hi, I m new here. please take it easy on me:D

I want to download Inventor Free Student Download via autodesk, my question is how many year will this license last for free student version? I am taking 2014 Autodesk inventor class and i would like to do some drawing at home, i am not sure if 2015 Autodesk out, but if i will download inventor 2015, will i able to open my 2014 inventor file (from class) in inventor 2015 at home?, please recommend the website where to download? Any advice is very much appreciate.

If you are using 2014 at school - that is what you should use at home as the files are not backward compatible (you can go from 2014 to 2015, but not from 2015 to 2014).

Your instructor should have given you the download site url http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

the license lasts for 3 yrs and is new for each release (so next school year download 2015 for a new 3-yr license).

I think it's three years. Check the website as it should have the information.

Can 2014 inventor drawing file open in 2015 inventor? if it can't I will download 2014 inventor. Thanks I will check out web.

If you are using 2014 at school - that is what you should use at home as the files are not backward compatible (you can go from 2014 to 2015, but not from 2015 to 2014).

Your instructor should have given you the download site url http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

the license lasts for 3 yrs and is new for each release (so next school year download 2015 for a new 3-yr license).

very weird Autodesk missing that feature, In AutoCAD if I am saving drawing in 2014 and send the drawing to a person who is using autocad 2010 I can save the file back to 2010 so that he can open it. Thank you JD Mather very appreciated

oh.......one more question, I am going to download 2010 inventor Student version on my computer, what happened if at the end of this year I plan to get the good performed laptop with higher processor, graphic card... and I already use my student email to get the 2014 inventor, Will I still be able to re download the software again on the same year? or one software per license per year??

You can download any and all software and versions that are available on the student community.

Each one is a different 3-yr license.

You can activate each license on two different machines.

You can download as many times as you like - but I would simply burn a back-up disk of the first download.

It is not "weird" at all that you cannot go backwards if you know much about how Inventor works vs how AutoCAD works.

AutoCAD is not a parametric solid modeler. Inventor is.

Parametric solid modelers are not backward compatible.

You would run into the same scenario with competitive products, SolidWorks or Creo (Pro/E).

You can download as many times as you like - but I would simply burn a back-up disk of the first download
Hi JD Mather, I am downloading the 3 years license 2014 Inventor Pro, after clicked download, I found this .EXE file on my download folder as shown below, Is this the file that I should burn a back up on the disk per your suggestion? Is there any other that I should keep back up for future installation? this file is less than 10MB though I thought it should be bigger than that. The installation process takes sometime, I actually received email from Autodesk given me the PRODUCT KEYS and ACTIVATION CODE , I was expected at some point that It will ask me to enter the code but It didn't. Do you know where can I enter the code.

inventor exe.JPG

Edited by Emboss 2014

Download Inventor.PNG

1. Download install files (image attached) (burn copy of these part 001 of 002 and 002 of 002 to disk for backup)

2. Extract install files

3. Install program

4. Delete 1 and 2 from computer (keep backup of 1).

5. Run in 30-day trial mode for at least a couple of weeks to make sure all is running correctly, because -

6. You can only activate any particular license twice, so you want to make sure all is well before activating. Now activate by -

7. Click Activate (rather than Run as Trial) and enter your Serial Number and Product key (if not already entered at install).

8. Your computer will send an Activation Request Code to Autodesk

9. Autodesk will send an Activation Code back to your computer (8 & 9 happens in the background) and sends you a confirmation email of you Activation Code.

10. Create a Windows Restore Point (in case something goes wrong in the future) (which brings up the point - make a Windows Restore Point before beginning the install and turn off anti-virus and UAC during the install).

As I recall download 2-3 hrs.

Extract, I don't know - 30 minutes?

Install, I don't know - 1.5 hr?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48456[/ATTACH]1. Download install files (image attached) (burn copy of these part 001 of 002 and 002 of 002 to disk for backup)

Compare to your attached images, I don't have those 2 EXE files like you have, I only have that one file as shown on #8 Thread, that's weird. how did you get those 2 files? I looked in my download folder but can't find them.

I never use the Autodesk automatic downloader - I always use the Download with Browser option so that I know exactly where the files are going (the disadvantage to this technique is the download must be clean and uninterrupted, while I believe using the download manager can catch errors during download).

I think you are pointing to the download manager rather than the actual download (but not sure as I don't have the time or interest to track down).

It takes several hours to download - do you think you have done this?

If so, search your C drive for the two files I named above.