By putting underscore "_", or dash "-" before the name of the command?

tipu_sultane

When we select from a Ribbon using mouse the underscore comes before command in command-line but when we type, we just write its name with out underscore. Also what is the meaning of dash "-" before command.

check.

_copy

-copy

copy

Are all the commands above same? If not please tell me the difference?

The underscore before a command uses the English language command. This is used where the installed AutoCAD language is not English, for example German. If you have an English language version of AutoCAD then it does not matter if the underscore is there or not.

The dash "-" issues a command line version of the command without any dialogue boxes. This is not available for all of the commands, but most of them. Sometimes you get more options with a command line command, for example if you run the "-purge" command you get the option to delete registered applications, but this option is not available in the normal "purge" command.

• 11 months later...

So, can you do you do a command line version of an english language command? (e.g. "_-purge"?)

Also, I've seen some commands include a full-stop (period), what's up with that? (e.g. the command "_.purge" brings up the purge dialogue box)

EDIT: Derr, how about i try for myself? Yes, _-purge brings up the english commandline version of purge. Still not sure how "_.purge" differs from "_purge" though

• 1 month later...

By placing a period in front of the command, you are running the real command, not a user defined command.

AutoCAD has a command named UNDEFINE that will temporarily remove a command. For example, if you type UNDEFINE LINE, the line command will not work any longer. If you type .LINE it will run the command even though it was undefined. This is often used when someone want to create a custom command with the same name as the AutoCAD command.

BTW, you can use REDEFINE to restore the command.