Triangle with corner edges

Kingdom32

Hi All

Im a newbie to CAD work and what im trying to achieve is a very simple Triangle with corner edges.

I cant see to do this, what is the best way.

I have only the free QCAD and Google Sketch up at present.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dan

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Kingdom32

• Dana W

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You mean the edges are radiused (i.e. - rounded off)?

Isn't QCAD strictly 2D?

Are you drawing the three standard views (top, front, and one side)?

Suggestion: In the future please consider making the title of your thread relative to the contents of same. Thank you.

Hi yes rounded off.

I think so, as I said in a newbie.

I just want an outline of a triangle with rounded off edges.

Similar to that view but it is for a template so a laser cutter can take the template and cut out a piece of plastic from the design.

Thanks

Dan

Triangle Outline.PNG

One triangle outline. But I'm not sure this would be acceptable and since I don't do CNC work I have no clue how you tell the machine to radius the top edge. JD Mather, another forum member, might know.

Yes that's is exactly what im looking for.

Cant seem to upload the design/image im talking about.

What application is that "Fillet" with?

Hi

Thank you, I will take a look when I can this evening.

I Asked at work if anyone knew any free software.

Do you think there is a more suitable application?

My shape is more of a stretched triangle rather than a symmetrical one if that makes sense.

Its for a fog light protector

Thanks

Dan

I normally suggest that those people looking for a free 2D CAD program go with Draftsight by Dassault Systemes.

A "stretched" triangle? The three sides are not equal?

Ok

I will take a look

No they aren't equal

I can't upload an image to show you what I mean.

Is it possible to email anyone or is this against forum rules.

Dan

First, you're new here so contacting other members privately via Personal Message will be restricted until such time as you have a minimum of ten (non-chat) posts. Second, many members do not provide their email addresses because they prefer not to be bothered with questions that really should be asked on the forum. Third, private messages should be limited to those subjects that fall outside the normal discussions surrounding CAD. CAD related questions should be asked / answered in the forums.

No matter what your triangle looks like if you want rounded corners the fillet command, or something similar, is really what you should be using. Failing that you could always draw a circle tangent to each set of corner lines then trim away the part of the circle and any lines you don't need.

Ok thank you all points are noted.

As a newbie and in general I meant no harm.

Thank you for the advice.

I was just seeing if I couldn't manage it if anyone would be so helpful as to possibly mock it up for me.

Again I meant no harm at all.

Thanks

Dan

No apologies needed as I did not assume you meant anything harmful by your question. My response was just for informational purposes that's all. Relax....everything is cool.

I'm sure if you were to ask nicely someone here would assist you.

You're entirely welcomed. :)

Thanks haha, I always like to make sure im not misinterpreted as I don't like to offend unintentionally that's for sure :)

I really need some help to actually create this piece as I have a tight deadline and I know nothing basically.

Could you help me at all?

I wish I could upload the image really.

I don't want to ask the questions to the manufacturer and look stupid if that makes sense

thanks

I might be able to help. Where are you located and what is the time line you face? Would this be done in metric or imperial units?

Unfortunately I now have to step away from my computer for a while. When I return I'll check back on this thread. If anyone else offers their assistance then by all means accept it post haste. Don't wait for me to respond.

Hi

Thanks, well I need the cad drawing ASAP as I'm emailing the manufacturer back tomorrow.

Based in the UK.

Thank you for your kindness.

Will try and work it out in the mean time

Unfortunately your schedule (need tomorrow), combined with my work hours (a bit unusual) and influenced by the time difference (5 hours I think) does not make it possible for me to assist you. Sorry.

Hi

I appreciate all your help though.

I will see how I go, I doubt il be able to get anything across to the manufacturer before Wednesday now, so if you feel that you could possibly fit any kind of time in before then, then let me know. But like you have said, you have a busy schedule.

So I appreciate all the advice you have given me thank you:)

You can start by attaching an image to your next post. We could also use some dimensional information.

I am not going to be on here much longer. I've got another job to finish before calling it a day.