exploding blocks with 3d solids not behiving in autocad 2015

golfdogz

i have just upgraded to cad 2015, and am encountering something i have not before experienced so figure there must be a variable somewhere i am unaware of.

if i start with a block that contains both 2d objects and 3d solids that was for example made in a MM drawing.

if i then insert it into a M drawing so that it is scaled down by 1000, if i explode that block any 3d solids will re-scale up by 1000, yet any 2d objects remain scaled down by 1000 (so are correct).

in previous versions i have never run into this issue - solids in blocks that are exploded stay at the same scale as they were (stay scaled down by 1000)

help appreciated.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nestly

• ReMark

• SEANT

• golfdogz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In following up to this. if i try to manually scale the 3d solid down (scale factor 0.001)

i get

"Extremely small scale factor ignored.0.001"

never had that problem before ?? i think the issues must be related.

*edit* Nevermind

Confirmed that AutoCAD2015 will not allow scaling even simple 3D primitives down 0.001 X

Edited by nestly

Looks like I'm going to shelve the 4th consecutive version of AutoCAD due to errors handling even simple 3D primitives...

AutoCAD2015 solid errors.gif

Full demo -->

Edited by nestly

Yeah, I was able to reproduce the OP's original problem, but in doing so discovered a way to reproduce the a problem where 3D object's geometry becomes disassociate with it's display, which has been a problem for several releases, I just couldn't reproduce it.

I'm really disappointed as I had high hopes that 2015 would fix the problems that have me still using 2011 for ALL work related drawings. :(

That's interesting (i.e., disturbing).

I've used each successive version 2011 - 2014, though, and have not encountered that anomaly. Just now, I tried to recreate (AutoCAD 2014) your screen capture events (Box, Conceptual VS, Scale, reScale, ...) but nothing was amiss.

Can you post an example drawing?

The scaling problem doesn't exist in 2014 (and earlier) as far as I know, but the issue where 3D objects geometry become dis-associated with their display had been around since 2012. It just so happens that this new scaling problem in 2015 also causes the previous display issue.

Here's a sample in ACAD2013 format, if you want to test in 2013-2014.

3D Display issue.gif

3D Solids display issue.dwg

I just tried scaling down a primitive cube in conceptual visual style on 2013, in an isometric view.

I tried it using the regular 2D SCALE command, and 3D Modeling Error operation unsuccessful came up at the commandline,

but I kept going and entered .001 as the scale factor and it did it.

I then tried again with all the same variables using the 3DSCALE command and it did it without any

disclaimers or warnings. :|

Wow! AutoCAD has some transformation issues in it's closet.

Bad enough to consider it only a display glitch, but if exported (AcisOut) and re-insert - the same or different file - the new geometry is set at that erroneous position. :o

No it doesn't just affect primitives... I used the simplest 3D object available in AutoCAD (a primitive) because it demonstrates the problem at it's most basic level.

LOL at putting "problem" in quotes. I'd like to see how you felt about it if you opened your drawings one morning and found parts and pieces being displayed far away from their actual location. Autodesk's solutions so far (2013-2014)

1) EXPLODE then UNDO, which will "fix" the double display, but also leaves the object in the wrong position.

2) delete the object and re-create from scratch. Fabulous!

Having been unable to duplicate your problem, I finally noticed that you had posted the dwg, and yeah, that is pretty annoying and weird.

Is there a DISENFRANCHISED GRIPS menu added in 2015?

Still don't know why you are having the problem and I can't seem to make it do it?

The file I posted was created in AutoCAD2015 using the procedure shown in the screencast. AFAIK, 2014 doesn't have that particular scale problem. I have however in the past been able to cause the display issue in AutoCAD2013-2014 via Drawing Views (VIEWBASE).

I can reproduce the problem in 2014 IF it involves a primitive. Any other 3D object I create from scratch does not appear to suffer the same peculiarity.

I went from 2011 to 2013 after a bad install of 2012 that left some of my drawings with a very unusual error that even today has stumped everyone I've spoken to at AutoDesk. I currently operate 2013 at home and 2014 at work and have not had any problems with disassociation while working in 3D drawings (using solids almost exclusively) in either program.

Yeah, It's the head-scratchers that are most troubling. It's not like 2011 isn't without bugs, but I'm not affected by any glitches that haven't been identified. Even if not "fixed", the conditions that cause the problem have been identified so they can be avoided. After several years knowing about this 3D display issue, to the best of my knowledge Autodesk hasn't even identified (at least not publicly) what causes it.

If they'd concentrate on bug fixes instead of superfluous gimmicks like cursor badges and making selected objects glow blue, they might actually be able to do it.