Contour Textures for Terrains

fahim108

I'm really having problems doing this. Actually one problem. My contours are splines and when I try to elevate them nothing happens. Also there is no wrong message from autocad. Although I tried to make a new spline and that one can be elevated.

Any ideas?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fahim108

• Nuttieke

• CADTutor

• Steamineagle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm really having problems doing this. Actually one problem. My contours are splines and when I try to elevate them nothing happens. Also there is no wrong message from autocad. Although I tried to make a new spline and that one can be elevated.

Any ideas?

I suggest you select each point on the spline and move it by typing @x,y,z, with x,y,z being the new coordinates for each point. I got another question though. I tried this in autocad architecture 2008 but can't select "fit to object" in the adjust bitmap windows. Any suggestions? thanks in advance

Any ideas?

u can't see if something happens from the plane view

check the property of your contour line geometry elevation if is it what u have indicated

help me out with the following please

i raised my contour lines but then, how should the perimeter be drawn with spline? fit? shouldnt the division mark be raised with contour lines?

contour3d.dwg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

what changes when you use autocad 2010?

ive followed the procedure fully, it doesn't map the texture into a gradient and i have no idea how to properly use the material options.

ive fooled around a bit and got somewhat closer but it still only renders a single colour. so how do i get it to understand that it need to map the whole gradient based on the Z location of the mesh?

...but it still only renders a single color...

1. Type in MAT
  2. Select your material
  3. Scroll down to Material Scaling and Tiling (display the tab if hidden)
  4. Use scaling units > FIT TO GIZMO
  5. U Tile > (any value) > 1
  6. V Tile > (any value) > 1

That should be the only GUI difference that you may notice. As I don't have 2010 to crosscheck, I am tallying it with 2008 and using my rusty old memory here. :lol:

Ps: I hope you are using a texture with some color gradient in it, otherwise it is not possible! :geek:

• 1 month later...

this tutorial was very good! i finally got to make a 3d model of my contour map..

but i am having a problem with the material..the gradient doesnt follow the z values of my contour. it just shows it in a linear pattern .. is this a special kind of material? i made a new material and making the diffuse map into a gradient ramp.. i am using autocad architecture 2009 :D

• 2 weeks later...
Do you change something to the TRIM command? Because the lines and contours are not intersecting?

You mean the contours are not getting trimmed? If yes, check your TRIM command settings. The Projection option should be governed by the UCS. Also, make sure you're working in the World (or Top) UCS.

trim_ucs.gif

I hope it works. :geek:

Amazing............... Wow, I want to learn it. I want to learn it!!!!!!!! You are very talented man. I am just a newbie here. Hope I can be good as you...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...