line command does not make arc

The line command does not want to draw an arc. No matter what, it keeps drawing straight lines. I had this before once with an earlier version of Inventor. Re-installed and it worked then again. There must be a simpler solution! Thanks for any help!

Maybe if you posted in the Inventor Sub Forum You would get an answer quicker, if you are using inventor. I don't even know if Inventor has a Line command.

Now if for some reason your profile does not reflect the software you are using, I can solve your problem. If you are using AutoCad, the line command DOES NOT draw arcs and never did. However, the polyline command DOES DRAW ARCS, if you tell it A after selecting your starting point. It will then draw arcs until you tell it L again for Line.

By default polyline draws a line when the command is started, Give it and A and it will draw arcs until it gets an L.

Maybe if you posted in the Inventor Sub Forum You would get an answer quicker, if you are using inventor. I don't even know if Inventor has a Line command.

Now if for some reason your profile does not reflect the software you are using, I can solve your problem. If you are using AutoCad, the line command DOES NOT draw arcs and never did. However, the polyline command DOES DRAW ARCS, if you tell it A after selecting your starting point. It will then draw arcs until you tell it L again for Line.

By default polyline draws a line when the command is started, Give it and A and it will draw arcs until it gets an L.

Cad does draw arcs with arc command with 3 points (specify start point of arc or center), (specify second point or center point), (specify end point of the arc)

Same for Inventor it also draws arcs with 3 point arc or center point arc command

Edited by ROBP

Thanks for the quick reply. I may be in the wrong forum. Have used Inventor for several years and it does have a line command which is also capable of drawing an arc if one drags off the end of a line or arc. I am very familiar with autocad and never had a problem with it. I'll try to find the correct forum. Thanks again for your effort.

You are really going to confuse the AutoCAD folks talking about drawing an arc while in the Line command. :lol:

Make sure you have Constraint Persistence turned on.

Constraint Persistence.png

The Inventor forum is here

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?32-Autodesk-Inventor

BTW - See Post #63 here for instructions on drawing an arc in the Line command.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?85808-Inventor-101/page7

That does not solve the problem. No matter what I try, it now will only draw straight lines, while it always worked fine before. As you can imagine, this is very annoying!

Cad does draw arcs with arc command with 3 points (specify start point of arc or center), (specify second point or center point), (specify end point of the arc)

Same for Inventor it also draws arcs with 3 point arc or center point arc command

The poster didn't ask whether the program could draw arcs. The issue is, as stated,
The line command does not want to draw an arc.
In AutoCad, The LINE command does not draw arcs, and since this was posted in an AutoCad forum, that is what I addressed my answer toward. Conversely, the arc command can't draw lines.

That does not solve the problem. No matter what I try, it now will only draw straight lines, while it always worked fine before. As you can imagine, this is very annoying!

You are doing click and drag in a 2D sketch, correct?

Have you installed Service Pack1 and Update3?

Can you attach a file here that exhibits this behavior?