Co-ordination layouts

FIFTHTEXAS

I am a new user to revit MEP and it hard going, being used to autocad for so longe.

i am bit confused, how to set up project.

i have created floor plans with disciplines, electrical, mechanical, plumbing

what is best method

what about co-ordination i have set out my floor plans but when i go into my view template i can not find co-ordination template, all rest are there.

so can anyone tell me best way to set up a project, having a typical M&E buildings

say i am doing some traywork, so i open my power layout to put traywork in, but i want to see where my mechanical equipment is placed, obviously i can not edit these, as they belong to mechanical layout, i just want to see them on my layout so as to see where my tray is going to be placed, so what i have done is go into VG turned on mechanical equipment. this then lets me see where mech is on layout.

but what about co-ordination discipline? what is best way

does anyone have a good tutorial to explain more about laying out project

many thanks

So, lets talk about the Disciplines in the View first. There are six: Architectural, Structural, Coordination, Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing. These default View settings do have some hard-coded properties to them. For starters, MEP Views will screen and fade all architectural and structural categories. You cannot change this. Architectural Structural and Coordination will show everything "as-is" and will not manipulate any Categories. So, once that part is grasped, then there's the reasons behind using them. Honestly, there's no right or wrong way. They're mainly there for organizational purposes, so you can organize Views in the Project Browser.

Here's an example: I set my working section views to Coordination and set all architectural and structural categories to 60% transparency so I can see through these objects in color while I'm designing. It's just the best way to utilize Revit's section abilities, hands down. You can't do this with an MEP view because it screens all arch and strc categories. In fact, I find myself constantly switching between Coordination and MEP Views, because sometimes I want things to be screen for the next tasks I'm about to do. So my final point is this: don't get too hung up on the Discipline selector for each View. It's totally to your discretion.

As for setting projects up, this you will have to learn in time. It's all about having Templates set in place. This includes Project Templates, View Templates, and eventually Family Templates that are customized to fit your needs. This takes time... sometimes years... to learn and master.

As for showing other trades... yeah just turn on whatever category you want and that's it. I usually set other trades to a Halftone so I can see where they are relative to my main model categories. So for instance if I'm producing HVAC ductwork layouts, I'll keep plumbing turned on but set it to Halftone, so it is shown but only as a subtle reference.

So, there is no right or wrong in anything you've inquired about. Use Views for organizational and visual purposes (MEP Discipline Views only) - that's all they're for really.

:)